BBKA Insurance withdrawn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To pick up on the comment made by Curly Green Fingers; the £2 you pay for the first three hives and any extra you pay for extra hives all goes to BDI not the BBKA. Your association/branch treasurer will make two payments - one to the BBKA for the capitation fee and one to BDI for the disease insurance.
That clears that one up then thanks Roger.

My comment is that the cover provided under the BBKA insurance scheme for ordinary members DID NOT and WAS NOT acceptable as an exhibitor at one of the large County shows that ( Covid19 allowing) we attend.... or for a Farmers Market in one of the County towns.
Ahh, in your case I can see why now - your forum info says 140 hives and BBKA say their cover is limited to those who have up to 40 as per section 12, see below. Horses for courses I guess.

12. The number of my hives has grown over the years and I now supplement my income from beekeeping – am I covered? The policy is designed for hobbyist BBKA Members, not commercial ventures or bee farmers. With 40 colonies or more you would be eligible for Membership of the Bee Farmers’ Association (BFA). As such, cover is provided up to a limit of 40 hives per person. If you tend more than 40 hives by yourself you should apply for membership of the BFA.

Don't think so @Erichalfbee, neither, I'm guessing it is the Public liability etc.
I think the OP is referring to the individual bespoke insurance which could be arranged with another underwriter to cover equipment loss, theft etc.
It was a pretty pointless insurance anyway, I spoke to the underwriters a few years ago when they rolled up at the convention.
They wouldn't cover out apiaries, all colonies and kit had to be stored securely at your home address etc. etc.
No, it's not the BDI insurance, that just covers disease though, not damage or theft.

This was another policy that covered theft or damage. I took it out when the limb of a tree fell and missed several hives by inches.
Told me that they would cover out apiaries, but as I never claimed it is a moot point.
Felt worthwhile for £12 for £5k worth of cover, but £140+ is a big step up.

They said not enough Bee keepers were taking it out and the loss ratio was too high to sustain, so the insurer had pulled out, but that alternate policies were available but with a much higher mimimum premium.

That's the one!
I took out a policy with Aston Lark in Jan following a note from my association advising BBKA had negotiated a good price for members. It gives £7.5k of cover for £16 and covers all apiary sites (from one beekeeper) for theft, damage and full public liability insurance. Seemed v good value so decided to take out for the first time. Had a message a few days later from my regional association saying it was being withdrawn but existing policies honoured. Similar policies will be in region of £140. BDI completely separate with our association linked to annual membership payment.

No, it's not the BDI insurance, that just covers disease though, not damage or theft.

This was another policy that covered theft or damage. I took it out when the limb of a tree fell and missed several hives by inches.
Told me that they would cover out apiaries, but as I never claimed it is a moot point.
Felt worthwhile for £12 for £5k worth of cover, but £140+ is a big step up.

They said not enough Bee keepers were taking it out and the loss ratio was too high to sustain, so the insurer had pulled out, but that alternate policies were available but with a much higher mimimum premium.
Read what I said - I never said it was the BDI

I have just been chatting to the insurance broker that runs the relevant scheme as I am in the process of renewing the theft, loss and damage policy for our local association. Once I have got that sorted, it is to be hoped this afternoon or tomorrow morning, I will put up a post explaining what I understand to be the position, the policies that will continue to be offered and the policies that will not.
I'm quite interested in your progress on this, I've just applied for a quote

I'm quite interested in your progress on this, I've just applied for a quote
I am chasing them at the moment. The poor chap running it seems overwhelmed and his assistant quit two days ago. I get the impresiion they are no longer looking to insure individual beekeepers unless they consitute a 'microbusiness' . In many cases an indivicual beekeeper may find that their kit is already insured under their house insurance. As stated elesewhere, BDI and public liability is not affected.

I will chase him again

1614963039355.png
In Greek mythology, Procrustes was a son of Poseidon who owned an iron bed. He would invite passers by to make use of it, but would then either stretch them or shorten them to make them fit the bed.

This seems to be what broker Aston Lark are doing with a standard Hiscox policy for small commercial enterprises to make it fit beekeepers.

My reading of the situtation, which I do not guarantee to be entirely accurate, is along the lines of:

• The policies in question specifically cover accidental damage, theft, and fire, (so to confirm - not BDI and not public liability).
  • They originally tied up with BBKA in the expectation that signifcant proportion of the BBKA membership would take out the insurance. They did not, so policies for small beekeepers became uneconomic.
  • For the average British beekeeper with four hives, it probably makes most sense to check whether they are covered by household insurance, or if they are not, to try to get them added to it.
  • If you are selling a few thousand pounds worth of honey each year, the Hiscox cover may be suitable for you, but you will need to go though the policy in some detail to ensure that you know what is covered. Most of the wording relates to standard small businesses operating from fixed premises.
  • Out apairies, ie not at the address specifed on the policy, are not at present covered, but Aston Lark are working with Hiscox to see if that can be changed.
  • Excess is £250 - so you need to think what is covered or worth covering.
  • Because they do not have the economies of scale they had envisaged last year, premiums this year are significantly higher
  • E&OE on my part
I have renewed for our association, but will be spending some time next week checking we know what is covered and where. We have a main training apiary which is covered, but a small local area one which it would appear is not.

The guy at Aston Lark is very helpful, enjoys talking with beekeepers, but is overwhelmed at present. He is working through quotes and enquiries in the order in which they they come due / exisiting cover expires.

So all a bit of a mess. During the coming year I ought to try and explore what alternatives there are for our association. I would be interested to hear what other people's experience of insuring assocation kit and sheds is.

View attachment 24762
In Greek mythology, Procrustes was a son of Poseidon who owned an iron bed. He would invite passers by to make use of it, but would then either stretch them or shorten them to make them fit the bed.

This seems to be what broker Aston Lark are doing with a standard Hiscox policy for small commercial enterprises to make it fit beekeepers.

My reading of the situtation, which I do not guarantee to be entirely accurate, is along the lines of:

• The policies in question specifically cover accidental damage, theft, and fire, (so to confirm - not BDI and not public liability).
  • They originally tied up with BBKA in the expectation that signifcant proportion of the BBKA membership would take out the insurance. They did not, so policies for small beekeepers became uneconomic.
  • For the average British beekeeper with four hives, it probably makes most sense to check whether they are covered by household insurance, or if they are not, to try to get them added to it.
  • If you are selling a few thousand pounds worth of honey each year, the Hiscox cover may be suitable for you, but you will need to go though the policy in some detail to ensure that you know what is covered. Most of the wording relates to standard small businesses operating from fixed premises.
  • Out apairies, ie not at the address specifed on the policy, are not at present covered, but Aston Lark are working with Hiscox to see if that can be changed.
  • Excess is £250 - so you need to think what is covered or worth covering.
  • Because they do not have the economies of scale they had envisaged last year, premiums this year are significantly higher
  • E&OE on my part
I have renewed for our association, but will be spending some time next week checking we know what is covered and where. We have a main training apiary which is covered, but a small local area one which it would appear is not.

The guy at Aston Lark is very helpful, enjoys talking with beekeepers, but is overwhelmed at present. He is working through quotes and enquiries in the order in which they they come due / exisiting cover expires.

So all a bit of a mess. During the coming year I ought to try and explore what alternatives there are for our association. I would be interested to hear what other people's experience of insuring assocation kit and sheds is.
A few items in your list are different re my policy with Aston Lark, taken out in Jan:

Excess is £50 not £250
Includes Public liability insurance
Policy covers any locations in the uk ie out-apiaries are covered

A few items in your list are different re my policy with Aston Lark, taken out in Jan:

Excess is £50 not £250
Includes Public liability insurance
Policy covers any locations in the uk ie out-apiaries are covered
Aston Lark have just confirmed to me that in January your policy would have been under the BBKA scheme that is no longer available. Henceforth the new rules apply.

Latest posts

Back