BBKA Insurance withdrawn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just had an email saying that the BBKA insurance is being withdrawn at expiry because not big enough marked and the level of claims was too high...
This covered theft and damage rather than the more limited disease cover from the local association.
Minimum premium from other insurers will now be circa £140 against my last years premium of £12
Yikes!!!

Just had an email saying that the BBKA insurance is being withdrawn at expiry because not big enough marked and the level of claims was too high...
This covered theft and damage rather than the more limited disease cover from the local association.
Minimum premium from other insurers will now be circa £140 against my last years premium of £12
Yikes!!!

Tell me again...what benefit does the BBKA provide? :censored:

This makes no sense to me 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Are you saying that your own policy isn't being renewed? That you made a claim, and the value of that claim was too high? Or you made to many claims?

What does 'because not big enough marked' mean?

You make my point very well.
Is this BDI though?
Don't think so @Erichalfbee, neither, I'm guessing it is the Public liability etc.
I think the OP is referring to the individual bespoke insurance which could be arranged with another underwriter to cover equipment loss, theft etc.
It was a pretty pointless insurance anyway, I spoke to the underwriters a few years ago when they rolled up at the convention.
They wouldn't cover out apiaries, all colonies and kit had to be stored securely at your home address etc. etc.

This makes no sense to me 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Are you saying that your own policy isn't being renewed? That you made a claim, and the value of that claim was too high? Or you made to many claims?

What does 'because not big enough marked' mean?
I suspect it should read MARKET and that it's not the association BDI that has been withdrawn but the other insurance they offered independent of BDI - which I think covered other things. If their underwriters were losing money on the business they were writing and the number of people with cover did not cover their costs and the claims they have probably decided not to offer it any more. Perfectly within their rights to do this of course - insurance is usually offered on an annually renewable risk basis. It's why your premiums inevitably go up when you have made a claim ... Try getting contents cover in an area that has previously been flooded ....

Public Liability Insurance is still listed on the BBKA site.
bbka.org.uk/public-liability-insurance

(Took me a while to find it: I very rarely use their site despite being a member)
No that's the statutory Public Liability cover that you get from being a member of the BBKA ... it covers members for up to £10 million for a variety of things that you do within your beekeeping - you don't pay extra for it.

I think what the OP is talking about is the separate policy you could obtain through the BBKA ... I can't find any details of that on the BBKA site ... not that it's very easy to find ANYTHING on the BBKA site ...

I think it's this one ... the page is coming up as not found ...

https://www.bbka.org.uk/all-risks-insurance
OK .. that links is hidden but if you put in the BBKA website address in the starred bit it will take you there ... but this explains it better:

"Does this policy cover my equipment against all risks including theft?"

No. The BBKA has however negotiated special rates for beekeeping organisations and individuals to cover their equipment
The “All Risks” Insurance policy is available for Associations, Branches and individuals to cover loss or damage to their beekeeping property or equipment. The terms of the policy are flexible to suit the needs of each Association or individual by direct negotiation with the Insurer. Cover under this facility is not automatic; for further information or a quote, go to British Beekeepers Insurance Scheme | Beekeepers Insurance There is a special discount for BBKA member and premiums start at £12 per year.

You can still ask for a quote but I suspect it will not be forthcoming...

https://www.beekeepersinsurance.co.uk/index.html#quote

Last edited:
My take on the BBKA standard insurance* was that it only covered the minimum of risks... hobby beekeeping at the insured home address and over the gate sales of bee related products( providing ALL legislation pertaining to such related products was in place and adhered to?????

No cover for out apiaries, disease, theft, farmers markets, shows etc

* not BDI

But even our NFU Mutual insurance did not cover for consequential losses or business interruption due to Covid 19!

I have just been chatting to the insurance broker that runs the relevant scheme as I am in the process of renewing the theft, loss and damage policy for our local association. Once I have got that sorted, it is to be hoped this afternoon or tomorrow morning, I will put up a post explaining what I understand to be the position, the policies that will continue to be offered and the policies that will not.

Can we talk about scheme A and B.
Scheme B with BDI
No that's the statutory Public Liability cover that you get from being a member of the BBKA ... it covers members for up to £10 million for a variety of things that you do within your beekeeping - you don't pay extra for it.

I think what the OP is talking about is the separate policy you could obtain through the BBKA ... I can't find any details of that on the BBKA site ... not that it's very easy to find ANYTHING on the BBKA site ...

I think it's this one ... the page is coming up as not found ...

https://***************/all-risks-insurance
OK .. that links is hidden but if you put in the BBKA website address in the starred bit it will take you there ... but this explains it better:

"Does this policy cover my equipment against all risks including theft?"

No. The BBKA has however negotiated special rates for beekeeping organisations and individuals to cover their equipment
The “All Risks” Insurance policy is available for Associations, Branches and individuals to cover loss or damage to their beekeeping property or equipment. The terms of the policy are flexible to suit the needs of each Association or individual by direct negotiation with the Insurer. Cover under this facility is not automatic; for further information or a quote, go to British Beekeepers Insurance Scheme | Beekeepers Insurance There is a special discount for BBKA member and premiums start at £12 per year.

You can still ask for a quote but I suspect it will not be forthcoming...

https://www.beekeepersinsurance.co.uk/index.html#quote
This is the insurance we have scheme B
What gets me is why do I pay also to the association to cover my first three hives with them and then the rest to bbka.
Also if I'm Mating queen's in an apidea there not classed as a colony because they aren't in the apidea long enough?

I also hope that I hit our target for the amount we are insured for other wise it will be a waist of time.

The insurance that is being withdrawn is any separate 'All Risk' policies provided by Aston Lark

It does NOT affect BBKA public or product liability or BDI

My take on the BBKA standard insurance* was that it only covered the minimum of risks... hobby beekeeping at the insured home address and over the gate sales of bee related products( providing ALL legislation pertaining to such related products was in place and adhered to?????
No cover for out apiaries, disease, theft, farmers markets, shows etc
* not BDI

According to item 10 of the 2020-21 BBKA FAQ, farmers markets and local shows are covered by the £10,000,000 third party liability policy for primary hive products not skin care etc :

10. I sell honey and wax products at farmers’ markets and local shows and they need proof of Third Party Public Liability and Product Insurance. The Verification of Insurance document available for download and printing from the BBKA website is sufficient to satisfy this requirement.

According to item 10 of the 2020-21 BBKA FAQ, farmers markets and local shows are covered by the £10,000,000 third party liability policy for primary hive products not skin care etc :

10. I sell honey and wax products at farmers’ markets and local shows and they need proof of Third Party Public Liability and Product Insurance. The Verification of Insurance document available for download and printing from the BBKA website is sufficient to satisfy this requirement.

My comment is that the cover provided under the BBKA insurance scheme for ordinary members DID NOT and WAS NOT acceptable as an exhibitor at one of the large County shows that ( Covid19 allowing) we attend.... or for a Farmers Market in one of the County towns.

( IF it did I could save £800 each year!!)

To pick up on the comment made by Curly Green Fingers; the £2 you pay for the first three hives and any extra you pay for extra hives all goes to BDI not the BBKA. Your association/branch treasurer will make two payments - one to the BBKA for the capitation fee and one to BDI for the disease insurance.

My comment is that the cover provided under the BBKA insurance scheme for ordinary members DID NOT and WAS NOT acceptable as an exhibitor at one of the large County shows that ( Covid19 allowing) we attend.... or for a Farmers Market in one of the County towns.
Looks like that was just your bad luck then rather than the norm. I've seen it accepted at major food fairs, and agricultural shows.

I've never worked out why you cannot opt out of BDI completely. If you pay the minimum and have more than 3 hives your not covered so why do you have to pay it ? Your paying for something that you can never use.

I've never worked out why you cannot opt out of BDI completely. If you pay the minimum and have more than 3 hives your not covered so why do you have to pay it ? Your paying for something that you can never use.
I think the first three are free as part of the capitation - you just pay for any more

Back