BBKA holds old dears to ransom!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND their "comments" section (on the Saga website) is conveniently "down" and not accepting my "comment"............
(which is not entirely positive regarding the British Beekiller's Ass.):toetap05:

This one is interesting at £350..

http://www.adoptahive.co.uk/catalogue.php?Plv=1&P1=6

Bees are vital to our well-being. They are needed to pollinate the plants that we grow to feed ourselves and our animals.

By buying a complete hive you will start a complete hive with a new honey bee colony.

These colonies are kept on our apiaries in Shropshire and the Welsh Border.

When you purchase your hive you will get a share certificate and some 'Keep em Buzzing' wild flower seeds.

In September we will be extracting the honey and then you will get 12 1lb jars of your own honey to eat or give away .

Throughout the year we will send you regular updates on how your colony is doing.
At any time, with some notice, you can come and see your hive, we'll provide the beesuit!

If you wish to buy a hive for more than one person please use the add to basket button again for each individual.

Somewhat over priced for sure, maybe £12/£15 would be more appropriate, leaving that aside, I can't see where the 'ransome' bit comes into it. It's a free market and the elderly can choose whether to purchase the subscription or not.

Regards,
roland

It is indeed what's laughingly called "a free country" - I think my objections to this scheme are set out fairly succinctly below (for some odd reason, the Saga website is "not accepting" submitted comments on this matter (after I'd spent some time carefully drafting it!)

"As a "natural beekeeper" I'm more than a touch sceptical about this scheme. The BBKA are now very much a "minority" organisation (only around 1 in 3 beekeepers are members), due I think in no small part to their choosing to accept funding from Bayer and Syngenta (who make chemicals banned in many parts of the world for the damage they do to bees)
My suggestion for anyone with a genuine concern for the fate of bees is to plant "bee friendly" plants, buy genuine English honey from small local producers, use no synthetic pesticides (garden organically), and perhaps even look towards keeping bees yourself - (I'm retired, and it is neither difficult nor expensive). Just Google "natural beekeeping" and follow your nose.......
My suspicion is that this scheme is an attempt to regain funding and influence by a minority organisation, who's "research" up to now has pointedly avoided giving credence to the fact that "chemicals" may well be at the root of most bee problems.....
I'm passionate about my bees, and want to see them survive into the future - if anything this scheme will probably do more harm than good.........."

>This one is interesting at £350..

It is,especially if you only have one hive and can find hundreds of mugs to sell to,only for the year of course.

Bum- wish I had thought up that scam when starting the new out apiary- would have saved me £2500.

Hey Hivemaker
I thought about buying 2 of the £350 ones they must bee made of gold.
As for the BBKA its pathetic isn't i?
Cor blimey this Ethyl acetate really smells

Regards;

Last edited:
Hi Brosville,

I take on board your comments although I can't see the BBKA as a minority organization; it is in fact the 'senior' organization even if there are more beekeepers outside of it than there are in it. Those non members that keep bees are not the 'majority' in the sense of a common voice as each one is an individual with his/her own reasons for not joining/playing.

I'm certainly not saying that it's necessary to be a member (although I have returned to the fold for my own reasons this year after ten years of non membership). But now, I'm drifting off topic -and using time which should be spent in the workshop trying to earn a living!

Best Wishes,
roland

Hey Hivemaker
I thought about buying 2 of the £350 ones they must bee made of gold.
As for the BBKA its pathetic isn't i?
Cor blimey this Ethyl acetate really smells

Regards;
Just need another 48 like you then Bcrazy,for a measly £35,000 from one hive for a year,may even add the second hive of bee's, if the expense was not to much.

Last edited:
Hi Brosville,

Just sent my comments to saga, it's gone to a mod for checking.

john D

well done! I hope many do likewise! :cheers2:

I reckon we should write to Saga and offer them sponsorship of our hives. i reckon if you promised an ounce jar of honey from different seasons you would have a few takers.

I like this bit from the bbka news article,you could even set up an operation like this with no hives..great stuff.
At least its good to see people making a genuine attempt to help our endangered bee's.

People will not be able to actually visit their adopted hive or contact their adopted beekeeper personally, this is a ‘virtual’ adoption, and we hope that thousands of people will adopt the same hive and beekeeper. Once people sign up to ‘Adopt a Beehive’, they will be sent a welcome pack and a newsletter three times each year with news about what is going on in the beehive and the beekeepers’ world. If the scheme generates enough revenue you will also be able to follow the beekeepers more closely on the web through blogs and Facebook.

Last edited:
One thing which I would like to know is which beekeepers will be supplying the Honey/Honey Mustard, how they were shortlisted to do so, and what the deal is, presumably this will be in the domain of 'public knowledge'.

Regards,
roland

Rowse i expect,why would the imformation need to be in the public domain,much better kept secret surely...:svengo:

Reminds me of comments made by a Jewish gentleman on the subject of prostitution - "you got it, you sell it................. you still got it! - vot a business!":)

Back