Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Can anyone explain- and is it the same in each division -
The money I pay annually to my local Assoc £22 - some money goes to County, and some to BBKA (excl insurance).
What is the breakdown of this cash. How much to each, and what do we get from them in return.
I am not disputing their worth,I think my Assoc gives great value for that amount - just wondered about the financial distribution of the fee payment

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
The BBKA Capitation for 2009 is £14.00. The balance between this and the amount you pay is made up of basic BDI (£2.00) and what goes to the County.

Last edited:

m100 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
The BBKA Capitation for 2009 is £14.00. The balance between this and the amount you pay is made up of basic BDI (£2.00) and what goes to the County.
That all depends on if your local association provide basic BDI cover. A few thought our local association did, now, after a lot of questioning and digging we know for certain it doesn't.

Got to be careful with the capitation fee though and when during the year it is paid to the BBKA, I think it is standardised now but in the past when it went up the date of renewal of your membership could mean that you didn't pay the increased fee until the next membership year.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
m100, you are right about the timing of the payment, there was a somewhat complicated arrangement where payment following the increase in captiation from £13 to £14 was made by the Counties in two instalements. And BDI is compulsory, you can't avoid it if you join as a full member, even if you already have made your own arrangements for insurance. This has been a hotly debated point in the past.

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
I'm not really involved in this but have been told that the county actually "owns" all the assets of the local association. So the money in the bank, out-apiary, equipment etc is not your association's but the county's.

This is why some associations are and others want to be "direct" members of the BBKA in their own right.

This info. is not gospel so if you wish to know more please check it out.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
PeterS, yes, the county associations came before the BBKA, which was set up by the counties as a National voice. So what they have is theirs. Even if associations join the BBKA directly anthing they collect above the capitation and BDI they can keep and spend on whatever they like.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks for that info- will go and carefully work out to ensure we are getting value. Not sure what we get from County..or BBKA -except for insurance. Sharpening pencil....

m100 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
And BDI is compulsory, you can't avoid it if you join as a full member, even if you already have made your own arrangements for insurance. This has been a hotly debated point in the past.
So a member of a local association, paying clearly defined local association fees, county fees and the BBKA capitation has basic BDI insurance (0-3 hives iirc) ?

Our chairman, secretary, and treasurer of the local association, and who also hold roles in the county association have intimated that they don't pay or provide BDI with any membership category.

Are you sure it's BDI and not the block BBKA public liability policy?

But if it is BDI them I'd really appreciate a source that I can quote at our AGM in a few weeks time.

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
One of the biggest problems with the BBKA structure is the County/Local association thing. It really interferes with the ability of the local associations and their members to make their voice heard at a national level. But there seem to be entrenched power bases at the County level that "protest too loud" about the idea of local associations becoming direct members of the BBKA.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
m100, the answer to your question is on the BBKA's own website. I would paste the link but something is corrupting it at the moment. You will have to go to the BBKA site and the "About Us" and then "Insurance Cover".

To save you doing this the second section about BDI states:

"The members of BDI are the Member Associations. The minimum payable by each Member Association to BDI Ltd as a condition of membership is £2.00 per annum for each of its beekeeping members which insures 1-3 colonies. Associate Members, Junior Members and Friends are NOT insured."

Which means your association collects £2.00 off you and forwards it to the BBKA on top of the capitation. If you have more than 3 hives there is a scale of addiitonal charges further down the page.

Last edited:

m100 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Enough
Rooftops, read that before and the crappy wording on that page is part of the confusion

as the page says "The members of BDI are the Member Associations. "

"The minimum payable by each Member Association to BDI Ltd as a condition of membership...."

Note it doesn't say the members of BDI are all the member associations

It is not, as far as I can see, a requirement for any association to be a member of BDI, and it doesn't appear to be a condition of membership of BBKA (hence you wouldn't have to pay extra for the basic level of BDI if you were joining them direct)

For instance britishbee.co.uk - About us - Membership Application

"Membership as a direct or Individual Member of BBKA is an annual subscription of (Overseas £18.00) payable directly to the BBKA (UK and NI Individual membership is £33.00 per annum). Individual Members (England and Wales) can take out Bee Diseases Insurance (BDI) for a premium depending on the number of hives "

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
I think we are talking about two different things. For people who join their local BKA, assuming it is afiliated to the BBKA of course this wording applies:

"The minimum payable by each Member Association to BDI Ltd as a condition of membership is £2.00 per annum for each of its beekeeping members..."

The key words are "minimum" and "condition of membership" which I understand, having seen this rule in practice, means you have to have BDI and your county association levies the charge for each member and passes it back to the BBKA.

The section you quote at the end is about individual (or direct) membership, which anyone can apply for and in this case BDI is not complusory, I guess as this category of membership is also aimed at overseas people where the insurance would not be valid.

So you can join the BBKA and avoid the insurance levy but this class of membership will cost a great deal more than joining through your local association and having no option about insurance.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
"Condition of membership" refers to membership of BDI not membership of BBKA. No county is obliged to be part of BDI but if they decide to remain/join then they pay a premium for every member of that county BKA.

It's an antiquated scheme that badly needs a facelift or else scrapping altogether. The average payout is about £60, significantly less than anyone will be paying as a premium for a household policy for example. It's not exactly a meaningful compensation for any beekeeper losing bees to foulbrood. The capital reserves owned by BDI amount to hundreds of thousands of pounds, representing monies paid in by beekeepers over the years, but never paid out in compensation. This is currently idle money that would be better invested in beekeeping in some way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
I agree, BDI does not cover the loss of any equipment if it had to be destroyed as a result of foul brood. I would be happy to pay an increased premium for my poly hives and poly nucs but it is not an option.

UB6Bee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
One of the biggest problems with the BBKA structure is the County/Local association thing. It really interferes with the ability of the local associations and their members to make their voice heard at a national level. But there seem to be entrenched power bases at the County level that "protest too loud" about the idea of local associations becoming direct members of the BBKA.
this is somewhat unfair! the BBKA is made up by its members - anyone who is a member of a BBKA association can, if they want, seek nomination to the BBKA Delegates meeting, attend this, and have their say on behalf of their association or County. the Associations / Counties propose motions to the Delegate meeting, so theres a direct line - if theres something that troubles you, or you would like to see, then propose it to your associaiton committe, who if they agree put it to the county, and thence to the BBKA itself. Theres a complicated card vote system that can be invoked if appropriate so that every association members vote counts, so a small associaiton can not overrule an association with a bigger membership.

If you want to see more from the BBKA or your county, then get involved - make constructive suggestions, stand for election to the committees or to be appointed your County Delegate.

theres no perfect system --- this is the one that was agreed only a couple of years ago, and can be made to work, for you, by you.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hello Ub6bee,welcome to the forum.

Do you still lecture at the national honey show?
Are you still looking to be on the BBKA exec sometime soon?

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Just the third party liability is worth the peanuts anyone pays for membership,even if you were to get nothing else.
But i'm no longer a member of that charity.....

Last edited:

Latest posts