BBKA Bee Breeding certificate.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I live in rural Wales, an English off-comer with more money than the locals and I have been made more welcome than anywhere.
As for speaking Welsh....I am in Ceredigion and it is the native language. All children are brought up in both tongues and many are taught in Welsh, at least up to secondary level. What's wrong with speaking it if it's your own language?

Yup so we are not the only ones.

I have been on the outer isles and if they are chatting in Gaelic they switch to English when they realise that is your language.

Our experience was the opposite, on entering shop/pub whatever, they switched from English to Welsh which immediately makes one wonder why.

My wife said with her first hubby they went over a few times for fishing and it was the same.

We were looking at investing but well.... oddly.... didn't.

PH

Well I live in rural Wales, an English off-comer with more money than the locals and I have been made more welcome than anywhere.

As for speaking Welsh....I am in Ceredigion and it is the native language. All children are brought up in both tongues and many are taught in Welsh, at least up to secondary level. What's wrong with speaking it if it's your own language?

We both have explained the reason for the comments not widespread and only experienced in Welsh pubs and it was the switch from English that was the issue. I have been all over the planet and never experienced this phenomenon anywhere else. The closest being very rural Italy where they didn’t speak English and I had minimal Italian so forgivable. Not the same as switching to cause exclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We both have explained the reason for the comments not widespread and only experienced in Welsh pubs and it was the switch from English that was the issue. I have been all over the planet and never experienced this phenomenon anywhere else. ....

A group of fluently bilingual people where both languages are spoken in the same area frequently switch between languages as topic or mood takes them. It’s unlikely to have had anything to do with your arrival.

A group of fluently bilingual people where both languages are spoken in the same area frequently switch between languages as topic or mood takes them. It’s unlikely to have had anything to do with your arrival.

Oh right. Read the post.
I think the phrase they used was “here is another bunch of arsehole English taking over our pub” or words to that effect followed by numerous comments about individuals personal appearance. Like I said it is an isolated incident in pubs where drinking and bravado probably started it and in the hundreds of times I have been to Wales it has happened 3 or 4 times. We had a welsh speaker with us who put them right and you hope they learn from it. We all saw the funny side of it. If race was involved rather than Nationality racism would be used.
I still go back to Wales. Generally the people are nice as I stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

... it was the switch from English that was the issue.

Oh right. Read the post.
I think the phrase they used was “here is another bunch of arsehole English taking over our pub” or words to that effect ...
I still go back to Wales. Generally the people are nice as I stated.

Sorry. I thought you said it was the switch to from English to Welsh 'that was the issue'.

Never mind. It has nothing to do with bee breeding, and you've said it was an isolated case.

I'm in Ireland, is anyone aware of a similar Course being taught over here as the BBKA's "Bee Breeders Certificate"?
I've had a quick look at our three Beekeeping Assoc.s but don't see anything; maybe it's incorporated in an existing course..?

(Sorry to bump an old Post, but thought it would be better to continue an existing one instead of opening a new one on essentially the same-ish topic)

(Sorry to bump an old Post, but thought it would be better to continue an existing one instead of opening a new one on essentially the same-ish topic)

Open a new post and let those barking mad sleeping dogs lie?

! you do not need a certificate to breed bees.... probably someone running a course localish to you?

Chons da

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back