BBC R4 Book of the week. "A Sting in the Tale." About bumble bees but still relevant me thinks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + 3 nuc
Although this is about bumblebee decline and conservation, it is still a good listen and relevant to some of the problems we face!

From Radio 4
"Dave Goulson has always been obsessed with wildlife, from his childhood menagerie of exotic pets and dabbling in experimental taxidermy to his groundbreaking research into the mysterious ways of the bumblebee and his mission to protect our rarest bees.

Once commonly found in the marshes of Kent, the short-haired bumblebee now only exists in the wilds of New Zealand, the descendants of a few queen bees shipped over in the nineteenth century.
Dave Goulson shares exclusive research into these curious creatures, looks at history's relationship with the bumblebee and offers advice on how to protect it for all time.

We'll also hear about bumblebee sniffer dogs, how bees navigate their way home and why you should remember these tiny furry friends next time you pour ketchup on your fish and chips.

One of the UK's most respected conservationists and the founder of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, Goulson combines Gerald Durrell-esque tales of a child's growing passion for nature with a deep insight into the crucial importance of the bumblebee.

He details the minutiae of life in their nests, sharing fascinating research into the effects intensive farming has had on our bee populations and on the potential dangers if we continue down this path."

Beat me to it! Just heard the first part - it was excellent! If anyone missed it, doubtless available on iplayer......

Beat me to it! Just heard the first part - it was excellent! If anyone missed it, doubtless available on iplayer......

It's on at 00.30 today/tomorrow, they're a bit slow putting up iplayer and podcasts but will be thre soon.

Russ

Latest posts

Back