BB** news ventilation article in september 2013 issue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 and a bit again
Hi All,
This is my first proper post, but I do look in almost every day and have learn t so much from reading all the different answers to some of the questions:hairpull:
But did think that I had just about grasped the top ventilation = closed,
bottom ventilation = open, unless checking for mites, insulation over crown-board, then I read the above article while having a couple of days enforced medical rest, and I can't believe what I am reading, that news letter will be the first choice for many people just starting and there have been a lot.
So that's it boys and girls, I will be sitting on the side (with a pocketful of matchsticks and pennies) watching where this goes.

Tony

It was written by someone with 40 years of experience who appeared to have learned nothing of new hive types and insulation techniques.

Spherical objects.

Those mags are littered with mistakes, errors or what have you.

The previous month had mixed units and a couple other errors at least.

It is a poor publication, short or proof-reading and peer review, before being given out for information-hungry newbies to soak up all the misinformation.

Tony - have you never observed religions, and the various churches within them ? Each one professing that they hold 'The Key': 'The Absolute Truth'; knowledge of the 'One True God' ? And so it is with the various branches of Beekeeping, and with the Sciences too. Because they're all religions, only in different disguises.

"In our arguments the immortal gods battle for supremacy. It is no wonder that such arguments are never won. The Ancient Greeks could have warned us of the dangers of worshipping only one god." Neville, 'Educating Psyche'

LJ

The guy has 150 hives on solid floors, he can't say anything other I guess. Costly job to change em. Anyway, solid floors is the way to go, it's the future. I am already saving up matchsticks.
Head back behind parapet!

Matchsticks are old news gaping holes in the crown board is the way to go lol

Craig

To be fair Mr B is a very experienced beekeeper and his son follows in his footsteps.

I have a mix and match of hives from WBC with solid floors to Beehivesupplies National pollies with open mesh floors and super top insulation.

The colonies, some black some positively yellow, seem to propolose any ventillation mesh I put on the crown board, independent of if they are on solid or open mesh floors.

In beekeepereing there are no right ways or wrong ways.... the bees will make their choices... as some old Monk way back in the second half of the last century said... "let the bees tell you"""

To be fair Mr B is a very experienced beekeeper and his son follows in his footsteps.

I have a mix and match of hives from WBC with solid floors to Beehivesupplies National pollies with open mesh floors and super top insulation.

The colonies, some black some positively yellow, seem to propolose any ventillation mesh I put on the crown board, independent of if they are on solid or open mesh floors.

In beekeepereing there are no right ways or wrong ways.... the bees will make their choices... as some old Monk way back in the second half of the last century said... "let the bees tell you"""
Good advice!!

Those mags are littered with mistakes, errors or what have you.

The previous month had mixed units and a couple other errors at least.

It is a poor publication, short or proof-reading and peer review, before being given out for information-hungry newbies to soak up all the misinformation.

They are put together by amateurs, so there are always going to be schoolboy errors. But that's the nature of association rags.

That said, I've seen some pretty poor examples of third party publications over the years, too...

They are put together by amateurs, so there are always going to be schoolboy errors. But that's the nature of association rags.

That said, I've seen some pretty poor examples of third party publications over the years, too...

That is a very sweeping statement, suggesting that your "facts" must be wrong.

Latest posts

Back