BB has no space to lay-needs a second BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Checked a brood box which is full of brood and honey. Hardly any space for the Queen to lay as any empty cells have been backfilled with honey, as I was late adding a super.
I intend to add another BB today (mix of foundation & drawn comb), should I add below or above existing BB or spread the the existing brood frames across both boxes interspersed with the new frames?

Or maybe, put the new BB below with a couple of the existing brood frames (those with drone brood on) and the queen, with a QE above, and then the existing BB with the rest of the existing brood frames so that it then becomes a honey store after the brood has emerged?

What do others do when adding a second BB when the existing has backfilled honey?

Then you could bruise the stores and they will take them out and move them up to the super! But.....it does sound like they need more room..I always put the BB below but others will disagree. If they don't need the room they will just fill the existing BB with stores eventually!

Then you could bruise the stores and they will take them out and move them up to the super! But.....it does sound like they need more room..I always put the BB below but others will disagree. If they don't need the room they will just fill the existing BB with stores eventually!
Finman says about putting it underneath to start with and then reversing the boxes later in the season.
Ive done what dani has said, and just two frames above in the second bb which is working but splitting brood and stores equally is working well 5 days and I'm adding supers.
Most are covering 7/8 frames in each but dummied down 10 over 10.

Etton has joined to forum 6 years ago and still he asks, how to enlarge the hive and what others do.
Etton are you serious?

I bet that others enlarge their hives.

Etton has joined to forum 6 years ago and still he asks, how to enlarge the hive and what others do.
Etton are you serious?

I bet that others enlarge their hives.
Its good to get reassurance...and also others do things in different ways, so still learning!!

Also sometimes you have to do something new. It was 35 years before I ever had to buy a queen and introduce it to a hive!

Latest posts

Back