bayvarol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kune

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi i have recieved my first nuc a few weeks ago and have found 4-5 bees either dead or with deformed wings out side the hive.Does anyone have any experience with these bayvarol strips.Thanks

See reply in the other section where you posted the same question.

Kune, you don't say where you live but the chances are the mites in your area are resistant to synthetic pyrethroids ( which what the B strips are) or if they are not resistant they probably soon will be.

If you are seing deformed wings and mites on bees then your nuc has a bad case of varroa. Use a thymol treatment as soon as possible. There are other options such as formic acid but they are more difficult to use.

Do you have a varroa floor and can you see mites on it?

Kune, you don't say where you live but the chances are the mites in your area are resistant to synthetic pyrethroids ( which what the B strips are) or if they are not resistant they probably soon will be.

If you are seing deformed wings and mites on bees then your nuc has a bad case of varroa. Use a thymol treatment as soon as possible. There are other options such as formic acid but they are more difficult to use.

Do you have a varroa floor and can you see mites on it?

you could phone up the local seasonal Bee inspector and ask what your local position is on bayarol in your area, it would help us reply if you add your nearest town to your profile, the UK is a big place and what i do in london is two week in advance of County Durham were my cousin has bees

otherwise use apiguard instead of bayerol, if you have a small nuc in a brood box on say 5 frames of brood then try two thirds of a tub (keep the third in a plastic bag for thhe third week) every two weeks for three sessions ( 6 weeks in total)

Last edited:
hi yes i put down a white sheet when i first put in the strips and 24 hours later checked it and counted 14 mite on it.thanks

thanks for that,you don`t recomend Bayvarol so.

Latest posts

Back