Bayvarol after

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
a 14x12 hive that appeared low on mites with 4 weeks of apiguard and then 2 weeks of thymol patties ( patties at week 5 gave a higher drop than apiguard) has just been treated with Bayvarol

because i had not made enough patty for this hive and the drop appeared within limits', i did not treat with further patties ( i have a swarm hive that is still dropping 50 a day after the same treatment}

the drop week 6 on the first hive with thymol grease patty had been 6 to 4 per day so appeared almost clear, so rather than treat for a seventh week with apiguard or patties i treated with an old batch of Bayvarol that was about to expire ( mean really ;)),

i had expected a lower drop, as Bayvarol is supposed to be less effective than apiquard due to resistance

BUT it has just dropped 50 mites in 20hours of Bayvarol

does that means the varroa we have are becoming resistant to Thymol dont think the temperature is too low , the temps been 18c minimum daytime 15c nightime, and it was in a Thornes api eke, and 4" of insulation above it, taped OMF exit, 10cm entrance block, thymol /apiguard place to the rear away from the entrnaceon top of frames

any ideas what's going on, i have totaly lost the plot :willy_nilly:

Last edited:
drop pattern

apiguard on
week1 80 per wk
week2 70 per wk
apiguard on tub 2
week3 60 per wk
week4 40 per wk
thymol patty 8gms thymol
Mon 40
Tue 24
Wed 16
Thu 12
Fri 13
Sat 5
Sun 6
Mon 5
stirred thymol
Tue 10
Wed 8
Thu 6
stirred thymol
Fri 6
Sat 4
Bayvarol on
Sun 49

Last edited:
Very unlikely to be any resistance to thymol.....more the strength and mode of application.
Why don't you carry out a simple Beltsville test,then you would have a resonably good idea of the efficiency of the bayvarol,at least with the mites on your bee's anyway.

I will ask...

Beltsville test? Elucidate please? (****ing explain)

PH

The apiguard FAQ has some reeservations about brood and a half 'it may be less efficaceous as there are more bees to treat, Put between the 2 boxez as most will be in the lower box' or something like that. Could 14 x 12 be too large a space to treat with a single tub?

The apiguard FAQ has some reeservations about brood and a half 'it may be less efficaceous as there are more bees to treat, Put between the 2 boxez as most will be in the lower box' or something like that. Could 14 x 12 be too large a space to treat with a single tub?

could be, i am going to monitor and see

all i really want is to get rid of the mites

Latest posts

Back