Basic supplies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With soooo many issues and concerns around cedar/pine/any wood maybe its an opportunity to consider poly hives.

Is it any worse than destroying carbon eaters/oxygen producers?;)
If it comes from sustainable sources, the felled trees still have the carbon locked in, and as they get replaced with news saplings, more carbon gets absorbed/locked in.
If you are concerned about destruction of 'oxygen producers' think of the rain forests that are being destroyed to make way for more sugarcane plantations to appease the anti beet obsessives 😁

My BKA buys seconds frames and foundation from Thornes and passes them on to members at cost to enable members to enjoy cheap equipment without the cost of delivery or having to buy large quantities.

With soooo many issues and concerns around cedar/pine/any wood maybe its an opportunity to consider poly hives.
When I first brought polys there was only a few £ difference between poly boxes and seconds, that price gap has widened.

I was just amazed that if a local BKA wants member support they are more expensive. I’m going to chat with hedgerow Honey my local supplier. They have always been very good in the past
I get the same local BKA list and have only ever purchased feed from it. However it is a useful service that they provide for beginners or people with just a couple of hives. If you only want,say, 10 frames it is cheaper to buy from them than pay high minimum postal charges from main suppliers.

Apparently younger trees sequester carbon at a faster rate than mature trees. On top of that there's the whole issue of trees only sequestering while alive as once they die they generally rot, releasing a lot of the carbon back into the air plus some evidence that trees can sometimes reduce soil carbon (a more consistent sink than trees)...

Currently a National brood from a main suppliers is £56.00 seconds are 18inc metal runners, it really is a no brainier. I think I’ve only ever had 1 side bar a couldn’t use, and yes if you have a knot in an area that needs a screw or nail simply pre drill. Buy them only from the suppliers not second parties.!!! Do not store flat for long periods but make them up when timber is wet if possible, the same for frames. I would also use a stain/preservative. Not sure who Patrick means but I don’t know any of the main suppliers that pre drill for you. Do the above and you’ll prevent any issues with seconds.
Bee-Equipment are selling National Brood boxes in Genuine Western Red Cedar seconds for £29.50

NATIONAL BROOD BOX, ASSEMBLED, GENUINE WESTERN RED GENUINE WESTERN RED

Pine is just £19.30 National Brood Box, Flat, Pine

trouble with pre drilling is, most of the holes are in the wrong place - no point driving a nail into end grain, it ain't going to hold for long, it also leaves the nails showing on the face of the boxes. I prefer to put my nails/screws down through the topView attachment 28657View attachment 28658View attachment 28659View attachment 28660View attachment 28661
It depends who you buy from, if the pre drilling is done on a 5 axis CNC you will get a perfect fit, if the supplier then supplies ring shank nails to do the job properly end grain nailing is as strong as you can get, you will not see the split wood as in your photos, this will allow water ingress and rotting out sooner than expected.

I get the same local BKA list and have only ever purchased feed from it. However it is a useful service that they provide for beginners or people with just a couple of hives. If you only want,say, 10 frames it is cheaper to buy from them than pay high minimum postal charges from main suppliers.
BKA’s buy from one source, they get 25% discount from that supplier, even allowing for postage it I still cheaper to buy from us.

I noticed this last week when looking at modified dadant broods, OK, wide boards and perhaps a bit of a non standard item these days, but the price for a flat pack brood has jumped from about £65 in this years spring catalogue to £77 online now. Sign of things to come?
Wood is proving a problem worldwide, most wood costs have increased by 15% or so, on top of that shipping containers have quadrupled in price, our container imports last year were 5% of the goods in the container a 40’ HC are around £100K with a shipping cost of 5K, that 5K is now 20K, We do not expect container prices to stabilise until 2024, now they have the higher rates it will be competition that will eventually take some of the hurt away, I guess by not much.

Odd isn't it; when I first wrote that I was only thinking about poor diy skills and split timbers and cut fingers on protruding nails. :unsure: As for the rest I am far more concerned about the vast monocultures of palm oil plantations which first require the destruction of the existing environment. Only later is the resulting plant harvested and its oil used in our food, vehicle engines, industrial and other products like cosmetics and cleaning agents.

Thornes and Maismore are £18.00 for a cedar brood think that includes metal runners. Your rather more expensive😂CWynne Jones that just re sell Thornes seconds are only £21.50
Strange, a quick look at both sites, Thornes don’t have 2nds for sale neither does C Wynne Jones.

Thornes do not generally sell 2nds outside of sale times. If you are referring to sale prices we never get beaten on boxes and hives at sale prices, watch for our sales the next one is the honey show all online. It’s worth pointing out that we import and manufacture Western Red Cedar using a variety of equipment including some of the latest 5 axis CNC equipment

I am happy to stop talking about equipment if people stop posting questions of me or comparing prices from one company against another.
Then those same people start to complain about the input from suppliers like myself.
Cant have it both ways !
I joined this forum because I believed I could add and learn from the beekeeping experiences of many.
I have been on this site for 10 years, it was only recently that another member announced who I was and asked questions of me in relation to my business, now a few people get upset if any mention of Bee-Equipment is made, to date I have not seen a single post that is negative or challenging in reference to another manufactures post. I see many posts regarding other suppliers, I am sure some of them have vested interests. The lines have got blurred but the delete button remains a constant ;)

It’s a shame that the other bee equipment companies are not here to represent themselves. It seems very one sided currently.
How can you suggest it is one sided ! no other company except mine sponsors this site, the other companies just post comments regarding products, the shame is they will not spend money when they are getting all the press they need for free.

How about supporting the companies that help keep the lights on!

Latest posts

Back