'Basic' certificate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done TB, i fancie a shot at that myself next year, must pick your brains.

Doug

I want one! What do you need to know to pass? Suppose I better get a bit more experience first lol, walk before I try and run. Well done :D

Think I will just print out the pic that TB has posted...:seeya:

I want one! What do you need to know to pass? Suppose I better get a bit more experience first lol, walk before I try and run. Well done :D

If you have kept bees for a seaon you should know all you need to but you will need to revise some of the basics. The syllabus is available to download.

It is basic , nowt to worry about .
Firstly safely lighting your smoker !
You need to demonstrate going through a hive, remarking on what you see ( brood, stores ,room, disease signs of swarming etc)also demonstrate the collection of a sample of bees for health checks (making sure you haven't collected the Queen).
Next follows a question and answer session (an oral exam of basic principals plus some of the questions being related to the manipulations you have just done,this is to make sure you have been properly observant when doing so ) .
Sounds more of an ordeal than it is :).
The examiner isn't trying to trip you up but needs to witness your competence at basic level.

I took my basic after 20 years of beekeeping but failed to mention a little chalk brood , my response to the resulting question being, "I'm so used to seeing low level chalk brood amongst colonies that I accepted it being within the norm for the time of year".
As I said "Nowt to worry about ".

John Wilkinson

If your smoker has flames coming out of the spout.....does that mean you've failed? lol, I don't have much smoker experience, although I have got better by practicing at home while away from the bees. I reckon I'd be able to smoke them now without cooking them.

LOL, just remember to charge and light your smoker before donning your veil.
Having blisteringly hot, molten veil material stuck to your face wont improve your looks ;)

John Wilkinson

Have done mine as well but still waiting for the certificate!

Latest posts

Back