Bartering Section?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Hey Admin,

I was wondering if it might be worth adding a 'bartering' or 'swopshop' section to the For Sale bit of the forum?

Of course we forum members being such friendly folk :hat:, might not always want hard and ready cash for our spare equipment/queens/bees/clothing/old extracting equipment etc etc that is perhaps surplus to requirements due to a change in beekeeping style or sat in the back of the bee shed gathering dust.

It might be an idea to offer a section of the forum whereby if someone has got something spare they make it known, and at the same time list a few things that they're in need of or might interest them.....in the same ballpark value bracket. Each party could pay their own shipping costs to make things clean.

Just a thought. With all and sundry now trying to make a quick killing from the rapid growth in the beekeeping craft and with people buying seconds from the sales and trying to make a profit from them, it would be nice to have the opportunity to go back to a basic, good old-fashioned 'let's help each other out' approach.

Comments from all and sundry much appreciated!

:cheers2:

WPC

Interesting thought WPC.

There have been plenty of 'other currencies' mooted in the past and some are even being used in the UK today ('Strouds' come to mind)

Do you propose regulation, ie, whatever is being bartered, a set amount of something is given for it, ie. I'd like 10 sheets of shallow foundation = 2 jars of chutney and 6 eggs, or whatever the individuals decide upon ?

What would anyone 'exchange' for 50kg potatoes as I seem to have a slight surplus ?

It would be interesting to hear what everyone has in their sheds that is surplus ?!

or...we could just join Freecycle (or freegle as I think it is changing it's name to)

Well Somerford, I was initially thinking that it might be confined only to beekeeping equipment.....however, your idea of opening it up to other smallholding/produce-type goods might well work.

Latest posts

Back