Bargeman’s Cabbage v OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pansypots

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been reliably informed that the sea of yellow opposite my hives is not OSR but Bargeman’s cabbage. I’ve never heard of the latter and wondering if anyone on here knows anything about it?
If it is BC it looks incredibly similar to OSR and the bees love it, but does it have the same problems in regard to honey as OSR? If anyone has any knowledge of it I would be very interested to hear.😊
FF43801D-D63F-4AC9-8DE8-21639159DED2.jpeg

It’s called summer rape by the RHS so I should imagine nectar from it would have the same characteristics?
I’ve just extracted 8kg of honey from one hive which I’m presuming has been cavorting in it. It’s very pale with a slightly herby taste. Is that similar to OSR honey ( which I’ve never dealt with)? 17798B16-A659-434F-905C-95D1052A4B1A.jpeg

You are obviously need me, I presumed it was rape seed that had got washed down the rivers. I am on the Tone, which one are you on? It does set but so far it has never set as hard as OSR. Again I presumed that I was far enough away from it for it not to be the main crop.

It’s called summer rape by the RHS so I should imagine nectar from it would have the same characteristics?
could be bastard cabbage - another brassica type like OSR, a lot has been turning up on roadsides the last few years, even with us.

could be bastard cabbage - another brassica type like OSR, a lot has been turning up on roadsides the last few years, even with us.
Yeh, that's what we said when the dinner ladies served cabbage at our school.

Yeh, that's what we said when the dinner ladies served cabbage at our school.
Some years ago I had occasion to do some work at a Catholic priests residence. He was chatting to me when one of his female flock turned up with a baked cabbage as a gift for his lunch. His expression as he contemplated the cabbage when she left was an absolute picture of abhorrence. 😭

My understanding is that all the brassica family are the same in this respect. Mustard used to be widely grown as a cover crop and soil improver, I believe, and had the same reputation.

You are obviously need me, I presumed it was rape seed that had got washed down the rivers. I am on the Tone, which one are you on? It does set but so far it has never set as hard as OSR. Again I presumed that I was far enough away from it for it not to be the main crop.
We’re along Athelney and under siege from bargeman’s cabbage apparently 😄

We’re along Athelney and under siege from bargeman’s cabbage apparently 😄
Oh! Hi! I am at the top of Curload! 😆 just about to extract a box. Not been a problem in the last six years here for me but spring honey does set whereas the summer honey stays more runny

Latest posts

Back