Ban Smoking in Cars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ban Smoking

• I wouldn't ban smoking in cars its private property

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I would ban smoking in cars for the reasons given

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • I am a smoker and this is p*ss*ng me off!

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I am not a smoker and this is p*ss*ng me off!

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
Everything you said......

I think you should read your own posts, you keep chopping and changing from one side to the other. A trait you seem fond of for reasons of your own ...... And you did speak on behalf of Mill "I think Mill would agree with the GMC", would Mill agree, well only Mill can answer that, not you.

So, Mill and the Utilitarians would doubtlessly come down in favour of this ban.

Last edited:
Storm™;189255 said:
I think you should read your own posts, you keep chopping and changing from one side to the other. A trait you seem fond of for reasons of your own ...... And you did speak on behalf of Mill "I think Mill would agree with the GMC", would Mill agree, well only Mill can answer that, not you.

What I actually said was....

"I can only guess, but I reckon Mill probably would have accepted the opinion of the GMC as to whether something causes harm. Just a guess though".

You may have noticed that I mentioned this was a guess on my part, so quite obvioulsy not speaking for Mill but giving my understanding of his position based on my reading of him.
I don't think there is anything too radical in the suggestion that Mill would accept testimony from the medical profession as to whether something is harmful. How else would he decide?

And as for me "changing sides" - I don't have a side. As I said a few times now - I don't care whether there is a ban or not. Does this exclude me from a debate about the pros and cons of a ban? Do we all have to be rabidly for or against something to have a discussion about it?
Playing devil's advocate, exploring both sides, thinking out loud, call it what you will but please don't suggest there is anything wrong with it.
What you may not have noticed, for reasons of your own, is that I am pretty much in agreement with most of what you have said.

Edit: ahhhhhh - 'doubtlessly' - I see what you mean. Well, OK, I stand by my opinion that Utilitarianism would be against children passive smoking. How they would deal with it is, as you say, open to interpretation.

Last edited:
I thought it was a reasonably well known fact that cigarette toxins cling to soft furnishings (like the inside of cars), so I was just offering some info as to why you might avoid smoking in your car if you've got kids.

Why would I mention chemicals .......

What you say and what you remember seems to be quite fluidic itself dont it lol.

Storm™;189258 said:
Why would I mention chemicals .......

What you say and what you remember seems to be quite fluidic itself dont it lol.

Lol - No.
That was in direct answer to a question from Winker about why he might avoid smoking in his car. Again, it's not my opinion - it's medical advice from the GMC.

If someone said 'why shouldn't I do 120mph on the motorway' and I reply by saying 'because you might crash and die' it doesn't mean I'm pro or anti speeding, it just means I'm answering someone's question with the facts as I understand them. They are not MY facts or MY opinion, but it doesn't mean I can't repeat them for someone else's benefit or to answer their question.

And, by the way, it IS ok for people to change their mind during the course of a debate. Several times maybe. It's called having an open mind.

Last edited:
A clumsy way of putting something there James

Play the ball, not the man. It is sometimes difficult to be precise without using the language in a way that appears clumsy.

So .... I am assuming that my right to do with my body as I wish is a for gone conclusion because I say so......

Which is absolutely fine as far as I'm concerned. Knock yourself out (as it were :)

However, if it's because you say so then it's clearly your opinion based on your world view, which other people may share or decide otherwise. If other people are free to consider it not to be a right, the claim that it's somehow "inherent" is looking a bit stretched. Leaving aside the philosophical arguments over what is real and what is true in the first place, if people are free to make up their own minds about it (which they demonstrably do), then it's not exactly "inherent" in the same way that gravity is an inherent property of mass.

James

Lol - No.
That was in direct answer to a question from Winker about why he might avoid smoking in his car. Again, it's not my opinion - it's medical advice from the GMC.

Now look lol, you said it and you were quite emphatic about it. So you won that comment and I remembered it which is why I said what I said. Then you said "why would I mention it" and the answer is .... because you already had. Dont try and be slippery to get out of it. And it was clearly your opinion AS WELL hence the wording you used. If its not your opinion AS WELL you may bring it up but only to refute it. You dont bring up something to clarify your position or strengthen your argument at one point in time to then deny it later.

If someone said 'why shouldn't I do 120mph on the motorway' and I reply by saying 'because you might crash and die' it doesn't mean I'm pro or anti speeding, it just means I'm answering someone's question with the facts as I understand them. They are not MY facts or MY opinion, but it doesn't mean I can't repeat them for someone else's benefit or to answer their question.

That Sir, is an opinion based on the facts you have at hand. It is not fact, but it might be. If its might be it is clearly an opinion from your perspective when asked a question. Because they might crash. I agree but I dont know they will. But in order to know they would, I would have to provide evidence. If I cant, it is my opinion. If you are the one saying ..... you know where this is going dont ya ..... then it is your opinion.

And, by the way, it IS ok for people to change their mind during the course of a debate. Several times maybe. It's called having an open mind.

It happens. But you do it all the time. And I agree it is ok to change your mind. I dont dispute that. After all that is the effect of debate. What is frustrating is you change your stand point from post to post. Even disagreeing with yourself from previous posts, massaging your comments and their context when you get quoted and you have even said that you fence sit. I would say that you have sliced yourself down the middle and are bikering with your other half through the fence panels .... I mean come on, its ok in a drunken pub laugh in, but here lol.

You absolutely crack me up:smilielol5:
You are actively sabotaging your own thread by tying yourself in knots to discredit other people's views through semantics without actually paying any attention to the substance of what they are saying.
The sad thing is that you miss quite a few important points that would support your own view because you are too busy focussing on whether my comments about Mill accurately represent what he said.
I don't claim to be an expert on Mill, as I said my reading of him was around 20 years ago, but I do know that the following ideas are a key part of utilitarianism:
- any course of action should be chosen based on an assessment of the likely outcome of that action.
- If the action causes harm then it should be avoided.
- The action taken should bring about the greatest 'happiness' for the greatest number of people.

So, it seems fair to say that a utilitarian might consider a smoking ban would fit nicely with their principles. But it is by no means certain, and would vary from person to person.
Your assertion, mistaken as far as I can see, is that utilitarians only act when there is irrefutable evidence that an action would cause harm. I would suggest that, as a school of thought, they would be much more likely to err on the side of caution. They would be weighing up evidence about health of children Vs human rights of smokers.

And yes, my opinion often changes from post to post. Would you prefer that everyone was a blinkered, narrow-minded, immovable luddite, who shouts the first thing that pops into their heads then sticks to it despite evidence to the contrary?
And anyway, I thought you had me on ignore?

Last edited:
Play the ball, not the man. It is sometimes difficult to be precise without using the language in a way that appears clumsy.

Firstly James (tone of voice is missing here - imagine a mothers response when her little boy says he has done his homework) now re read what I wrote and that was what it was meant as. Not an insult. I had to look it up James lol. I do not find your tone aggressive in any way and therefore I would never aim that tone at you. Sorry if it appeared that way.

However, if it's because you say so then it's clearly your opinion based on your world view, which other people may share or decide otherwise. If other people are free to consider it not to be a right, the claim that it's somehow "inherent" is looking a bit stretched. Leaving aside the philosophical arguments over what is real and what is true in the first place, if people are free to make up their own minds about it (which they demonstrably do), then it's not exactly "inherent" in the same way that gravity is an inherent property of mass.

James

Yep its a difficult one because to explain it you would have to start with a dash of social moral attitude, pinch of historic lesson, and a twist of common sense. And while they do overlap like that something like the USA and the electric chair mucks it all up. I would say though it may be an opinion, but it is an opinion I know as fact. And of anyone were to say try and stop me then I would leave them in no doubt that they should have taken up knitting. lol, if that makes sense. I think it relies upon proof as you said. And proof comes in the form of evidence based on experience. So try it and you get a wallop. If you dont learn then I will wallop harder. And that keeps up until someone gives in.

We know its not right to remove my free choice. But should we do that and I kick off the question that may be asked is, am I doing the right thing removing his free choice. When the question that should really be asked is - should I interfering with this person and what right have I got to do that. And then something weird happens. If I feel I should be removing his free choice, I have to decide how best to go about that. If I am in a position of power thats easier. If I want to stay in power I have to justify it. And I have to convince everyone who needs to be, that I am right. And then it happens.

The weird bit is, that I will have used the law to do it. But laws are there to prevent the law hurting people and removing their rights. So it really comes down to, who has the best most convincing interpretation of the laws involved. Well at least it should do. And to do that you need money to be represented. And that makes the balance uneven. In fact there are many examples where someone had the finance to fight something to the bitter end and won. What should have happened was it cost him nothing to reach common sense. Sadly it is not that way. However there are areas where those in charge steer clear of. Race, religion and large corporations. Because they know, that is where their position of authority will become tenuous and may effect their future ability to be in charge (again wrong but thats how it is). And again even now these "avoid at all costs" areas are being nibbled away. Why ..... because people cannot be bothered and therefore do nothing. And that encourages through implication, that we are all funky with it and agree with it. When they get that assumption wrong it shows ... Poll Tax ...... vivisection...... abortion ....... embryo reasearch .... banks now .... sexuality

These are all things that have high moral value and effect the majority. Sly sideways jobsworth rubbish from people like ASH against smokers is not. Neither is being fat btw, which will be the next thing I would bet my bee suit on it. I dunno what the answer is to be honest, but raising awareness and indignation is "a" way and we should all do it when someones opinion, that their free will is being removed from under their noses, happens. Even if we dont agree, we should not be asking is the government right. We should be asking is the government in enough authority to even be bothering these people at all.

Last edited:
You absolutely crack me up:smilielol5:
You are actively sabotaging your own thread by tying yourself in knots to discredit other people's views through semantics without actually paying any attention to the substance of what they are saying.

I could say prove it but I wont tax you on that. And whilst that has been the effect/outcome Its not important to me. I mean come on - smoking issues, was that really going to stay on track. I am surprised it has not degenerated into religion by now. I even tried for a laugh to make it happen but you didnt bite. I didnt miss anything at all. But you have to reach a level playing field of understanding first. Sort out the nitty gritty before true debate can begin. So you have to pick a side. You claim devils advocate and not for the first time. Ok fair enough, but that is not a place to debate from. Well I dont think so. It is neither for nor against. The purpose of debate is to reach a conclusion that all may agree on. Whether they do or not is down to the level of debate. What you cant do is play both sides. Thats not debate. Thats your choice and you are perfectly welcome to it. But it isnt debate. Whats worse muddying the waters with views from both sides, stating them as fact and doubtless(implying there is no doubt at all, which implies a superior position in that debate, which you clearly do not have). When you do that, I cant let it go, because you are speaking with an imagined (on your part), authority. I can see why you would think I am being picky, but then don't say things in open debate that you do not want taken literally or as part of your standpoint. I dont call that "sabotaging my own thread" or "tying myself in knots", I call that getting you, to get your facts from your opinions right. Else you lose credibility. I hope that you can see that.

The sad thing is that you miss quite a few important points that would support your own view because you are too busy focussing on whether my comments about Mill accurately represent what he said.

Doubtless ....... I say sloppy you say picky.

any course of action should be chosen based on an assessment of the likely outcome of that action.

So you see here you are doing it again. You are very good at using the English language to strengthen your view and give you authority. BUT I would say replace likely with possible outcomes and you get a far more accurate statement that is less authoritative and - well, know all ish.

- If the action causes harm then it should be avoided.

Well agreed ish, to a point, as long as it would not infringe on peoples free choice.

The action taken should bring about the greatest 'happiness' for the greatest number of people.

Sentimental twoddle speak says I. TAX etc ... but seriously that is not correct. If it pleases most of the UK for me to not have a smoke if I want to, I should accede... good luck with that. I should be Christian instead of pagan. Or be a donor. Eat only veg. I mean its not going to happen.

So, it seems fair to say that a utilitarian might consider a smoking ban would fit nicely with their principles. But it is by no means certain, and would vary from person to person.

See you can do it lol.

Your assertion, mistaken as far as I can see, is that utilitarians only act when there is irrefutable evidence that an action would cause harm. I would suggest that, as a school of thought, they would be much more likely to err on the side of caution. They would be weighing up evidence about health of children Vs human rights of smokers.

Nope most people in authority would prefer to stay there. So they will err on the side of, whatever facilitates that. Usually. There are exceptions. I would be one.

And yes, my opinion often changes from post to post. Would you prefer that everyone was a blinkered, narrow-minded, immovable luddite, who shouts the first thing that pops into their heads then sticks to it despite evidence to the contrary?

Bitchy, but o,k ill let that slide. I think I have explained what you do and how it detracts from your credibility in debate to the best of my ability. To quote Hivemaker "you wanna make your mind up mate".

And anyway, I thought you had me on ignore?

Like small cell carcinoma, your there. And you're growing on me. lol.

Sorry, I've just realised that I've been saying GMC when I meant BMA.
I didnt pick up on it because I was just listening to the fat trunky mare that was spouting her b*ll*x on the news. They said "medical profession" she didnt correct them (too busy stuffing in buns). All I could think was, you wait you great fat lump. You're gonna be next and you'll be dragged off to the dietitian and your Claret privileges revoked forEVA. Then see, you'll be wining like a pig at the trough when they wont gastric band your great gut on the NHS till you lose 4 stone. I just hope I am thee to see it.

Sorry, I can't even be bothered to read all that. Doubtlessly it will be a rehash of what you've already said a few times.
Go and read Mill and come back when you can speak from a position of relative knowledge. Infact, 5 mins on wikipedia might help.

The measure of whether you have sabotaged your own thread should be the fact that it only really you and I still taking part and, to be honest, I'm only doing so because I find it titilating.
I do wonder if you realise how aggressive and intolerant you come across to others. Maybe that's why you find yourself alone in these threads ranting to yourself. I'm sure it's all meant as a good old larf though eh?
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Now, where's the off switch?

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't even be bothered to read all that. Doubtlessly it will be a rehash of what you've already said a few times.
Go and read Mill and come back when you can speak from a position of relative knowledge. Infact, 5 mins on wikipedia might help.

The measure of whether you have sabotaged your own thread should be the fact that it only really you and I still taking part and, to be honest, I'm only doing so because I find it titilating.
I do wonder if you realise how aggressive and intolerant you come across to others. Maybe that's why you find yourself alone in these threads ranting to yourself. I'm sure it's all meant as a good old larf though eh?
:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Now, where's the off switch?

Well ........... what can you say about that. Not much....

As a pretentious youth I used to smoke a pipe on a motorbike < embarrassed shudder> there was a little device you could put over the top of it to stop the burning tobacco from flying out.

Smoking on your own in cars is okay, but i often see peole smoking with kids in the car too...

Latest posts

Back