Balsam frenzy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my colonies is going mad on the balsam. They start early, finish late and the entrance is covered in bees all day. Should I take the entrance block out?
There are lots of wasps about , but I dont think they would stand a chance of getting in. Also, is this madness genetic? Another hive nearby is nowhere near as active, so I might raise Queens from the mad hive next year.

partially remove the entrance block, so there is a gap at one end, this gives more entrance for the bee's to use but they are still able to defend it easier than a full entrance.

as for breeding from this "mad" colony, what were they like on previous forage? any better or worse than other hives?

could it be you raise bees that only like to go mad on the balsam......

now there's the start of another thread "BREEDING FORAGE SPECIFIC BEES....." :sifone:

Ducks......

"Incoming!!!!" :leaving:

I didnt notice any difference between it and the one next to it early on. I hate to admit it, but both these hives swarmed in May. The other hive brings in balsam as well, but not nearly as much. The Qs are from different sources, which may explain it. Both hives are packed with bees at the moment.

Tryig to put a pic in. Give me a few mins.

eob.jpg

And it's raining today. Should I take the block out?

I would say that tiddly little entrance is doing your colony no favours. Full depth at that width looks to be more appropriate.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab. That's what I thought, but What do I know! Nice to have an expert confirm it.

Latest posts

Back