Bald brood wax moth problem...how to solve?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
In a 5 frame nuc I think I have a wax moth problem based on the bald brood I'm seeing. The colony is on 4 frames of brood at different stages and 1 frame of stores. It's an average size as a colony goes but brood volume is 30% greater than a couple of weeks ago.

Can those more experienced give me some guidance on what, if anything, I should do in this situation?

Attachments

• DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0090.JPG
    DSCN0090.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
If the issue to start with is only light and doesn't get out of control.

If the issue to start with is only light and doesn't get out of control.
Is there anything I can do? Rooting out the uncapped larvae to try to find the wax moth caterpillar?

In a 5 frame nuc I think I have a wax moth problem based on the bald brood I'm seeing. The colony is on 4 frames of brood at different stages and 1 frame of stores. It's an average size as a colony goes but brood volume is 30% greater than a couple of weeks ago.

Can those more experienced give me some guidance on what, if anything, I should do in this situation?
What's your varroa levels like? varroa causes baldbrood as well

If you can see the cocoon trails it’s likely to be wax moth if you can’t look for other problems like varroa as jenks says. You’ve only a few frames to look at so go fish them out. Rapping the frame repeatedly with a hive tool also brings them to the surface, but don’t do it over the hive they’ll often fall out the other side! You’ll find them even in large hives.

What's your varroa levels like? varroa causes baldbrood as well
I haven't done a test - that said, the bees originate from a May swarm, varoa treated before any capped brood. I also finished my 3rd vape of the nuc yesterday. I didn't track mite fall on this nuc although where I have tracked I'm not seeing much. After the second treatment I had around 20 on a big single brood box hive. I'd check the boards later today following yesterdays vape. I haven't noticed any wing deformations.

Conversely, I have seen and killed the odd wax moth (one today) on the outside of hives, and killed 3 pupae found on a crown boards.

If you can see the cocoon trails it’s likely to be wax moth if you can’t look for other problems like varroa as jenks says. You’ve only a few frames to look at so go fish them out. Rapping the frame repeatedly with a hive tool also brings them to the surface, but don’t do it over the hive they’ll often fall out the other side! You’ll find them even in large hives.
I'll have a closer look later.

I had found this problem earlier in the season on the 'parent hive'. As the population grew the issue disappeared. Maybe the same here says I hopefully.... From memory I saw the issue on 2 of the 4 brood frames.

Latest posts

Back