Bald brood advice/ thoughts please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apple : Sac brood is the result of infection by a virus 1st identified by Bailey et al in 1963 not a fungus. Aspergillus infection is associated with Stone brood and is rarely seen in the UK (although I was shown a case at the bee unit at Rothensted back in the early 80s).

Apple : Sac brood is the result of infection by a virus 1st identified by Bailey et al in 1963 not a fungus. Aspergillus infection is associated with Stone brood and is rarely seen in the UK (although I was shown a case at the bee unit at Rothensted back in the early 80s).
Aspergillus is rarely noticed in hives as the bees are very good at dealing with it (hygienic behaviour).
Luckily, as it's the only bee infection which is transmissible to humans.

Yes, Iflavirus spp
Appols folks... was having a senior moment... of course what I meant was chalk brood, caused by aspergillus fungus.
Sac is the result of a virus...... similar to another new and novel imported virus doing the rounds for the last few years or so... (DPV) Danish Pastry Virus!
Nadelik Lowen

Back