Bakers’ fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgosuc 12.5kg £10.46 free delivery over £125.
Henley Bridge/ hbingredients.co.uk in Lewes, East Sx.

Choc Falls now in stock 151 units.

The question was does it harm the bees the answer in NO!!

Yes, it contains such things as caking agents, just put it to one side for a couple of days and see how hard it gets!
no it doesn't
contains nothing but powdered sugar glucose syrup and water
Exactly the same as the pricey 'bee fondant' most suppliers peddle at a premium

no it doesn't
contains nothing but powdered sugar glucose syrup and water
Exactly the same as the pricey 'bee fondant' most suppliers peddle at a premium

:iagree:

White Fondant Icing :: BAKO Select
12.5kg Soft White Bakers Fondant [S.FONSW12.5] - £11.25 : Chocolate Falls
12.5kg Fondant Block (simonthebeekeeper.co.uk)

All three links clearly indicate nothing but sugar, glucose syrup and water. Same for other suppliers I have seen, in the main. As long as you check that these are the only ingredients, there are no concerns.

Belgosuc is the same company that makes Invertbee syrup. It's also amusing to know that they also produce fondabee fondant which is exactly the same stuff as the Belgofondant but with a picture of a bee on the box but at at twenty odd quid a pop!!
Although if you go direct to the agents, Wyefield apiaries, it's more or less not far off a normal price.
Wyefield arrange a delivery of invert by tanker for the South West Beefarmers. Association every year, with one huge heated tanker delivering all the way down to Cornwall!... A ton(780L) or 1000 liters or more dispensed into your own IBC.... we usually pump it into 12.5 liter containers for ease of use whilst it is still hot!

Also do a very good deal on fondant / bee feed by the pallet.

I know one of the Cornish Association groups buy in and distribute to members and share the saving of costs by buying in bulk.

Chons da

Just must add that you can add your own fairy dust... but with the Covid Chrisis the price has escalated somewhat!

Chons da

Anyone noticed the Bako fondant is made by Belgosuc.
Just bought a ton pallet of Superfine fondant @ £2.49 a box less than Bako own brand, from Bako.

Yes, they put a spoonful of invert into it and everyone then says 'ooooh, it's all invert fondant' when in reality it's just bog standard baker's fondant with a drop of fairy dust but three or four times the cost.
Sounds like candipoline. 0.5g of pollen per kilo and hey presto that's double the price... You could just piss in the snow for similar nutritional value 😂

Anyone noticed the Bako fondant is made by Belgosuc.
Just bought a ton pallet of Superfine fondant @ £2.49 a box less than Bako own brand, from Bako.
Sugar products are like steel stock - they just go for a supplier with the cheapest price. Belgosuc are primarily a cake maker supplier, the invert and bee products are just a sideline.

That is not baker's fondant it's fondant icing, totally different stuff. Bako do bog standard baker's fondant and if you have an account (in this area anyway) it will probably cost less than a tenner for 12.5 Kg
Bako was £8 12.5 kilo 25 years ago .

Bako was £8 a kilo 25 years ago .
What? a hundred pounds a box? it was £12.00 to £14.00 a 12.5 kilo box in 2011, I was getting it for a tenner a box in 2012 and it kept getting progressively cheaper because the price is governed by international sugar prices. £7.00 a box two years ago, cheaper if you bought a pallet load but it's crept up slightly since.

What? a hundred pounds a box? it was £12.00 to £14.00 a 12.5 kilo box in 2011, I was getting it for a tenner a box in 2012 and it kept getting progressively cheaper because the price is governed by international sugar prices. £7.00 a box two years ago, cheaper if you bought a pallet load but it's crept up slightly since.

Sure ol misery guts said Bako was £8 12.5 kilo 25 years ago .

Paid £7.20 for box ( 12.5kg) bakers fondant ( Belsuc stuff no additives) in September.....

Added our own Cornish fairy dust just to give it some magic!;)
Chons da

a glitch I amended that post !
£8 per 12.5 kilo .
ordered some from Chocolatefalls 2x12.5 Kg .£28. Inc PnP.
Ordered it Friday received it today and yes contains only sugar, glucose syrup and water ! £11 per 12.5 kilo .
thanx erichalfbee

Ordered it Friday received it today and yes contains only sugar, glucose syrup and water ! £11 per 12.5 kilo .
thanx erichalfbee

My bees are delighted with the Choco Falls fondant, but just be aware that it is noticeably softer than the fondant I had been using previously (SimonTheBeekeeper / BFP). I think this is because the water content is high teens rather than low teens. This is fine as far as I am concerned (easier for them to take down perhaps) but it does increase the risk of it sagging down between frames if not supported properly. Only an issue if you feed fondant directly on the frame tops, but just wanted to mention it.

Back