Bakers’ fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Have you got a link to the ingredients list?I’ve tried the BKY website but can’t find anything there.

On the Box:
"Ingredients:
Sugar, Glucose Syrup,Water."

Bako white fondant
We have used this for the last number of years to feed an average of forty winter nucs each year, with exceptional results.
Usually buy a full pallet a time in February for the coming season.

Last edited:
Just put my order in with choco fountain best hurry stocks are now low.:sifone:

There's plenty of time Bryan I'[d try again in a day or two

Product is currently out of stock.

That is not baker's fondant it's fondant icing, totally different stuff. Bako do bog standard baker's fondant and if you have an account (in this area anyway) it will probably cost less than a tenner for 12.5 Kg
Correct. We get ours through the club and comes in less than £10 for the 12.5kg. Been using it for several years and never caused any issues with the bees. It does get hard after a while though, even just above the n'est.

There's plenty of time Bryan I'[d try again in a day or two
Been in touch with Chocolate Falls....They have a problem with their online paying system, it will not accept some cards because of a tech hitch with the "3D identity" system. They suggest to use Paypal if you have problems....The fondant is back in stock..

Belgosuc is the same company that makes Invertbee syrup. It's also amusing to know that they also produce fondabee fondant which is exactly the same stuff as the Belgofondant but with a picture of a bee on the box but at at twenty odd quid a pop!!
Although if you go direct to the agents, Wyefield apiaries, it's more or less not far off a normal price.

Their system/online shop indicates 2 -3 weeks on back order.

How much fondant would a hive (single standard national broodbox with 5 frames of bees) need to be fed in your opinion ? I'm seeing come large kilo orders and can only assume it is for multiple hives.

How much fondant would a hive (single standard national broodbox with 5 frames of bees) need to be fed in your opinion ? I'm seeing come large kilo orders and can only assume it is for multiple hives.

Depends on lots of things like how much honey they have, whether you are feeding syrup first and only feeding fondant later in the winter etc etc.

I feed fondant from September onwards, but I try and ensure they start September off with lots of honey already in the colony, and I would expect to possibly need 6kg for a national brood box full of bees over the winter, so perhaps 3-4kg for your nuc-sized colony. Hives vary hugely though in appetite, for whatever reason (some strains are meant to be more frugal than others though I have no idea if that is true).

If you feed syrup until later in the year than I do (as most people do) obviously you will need significantly less fondant.

Last edited:

That number of bees should be in a 5 frame nuc not a full size brood box.

Latest posts

Back