Bait hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Forgive me for the newbie question, but!
I have my new hives sat on some tressels out in the garden, basicly waiting until a swarm comes up for collection.
They have been sat there for ages and nothing much has shown interest in them apart from me.

Today all of a sudden i got a few honey bees showing serious interest in them, going in and out and basicly checking them out big time.

I havent seen any honey bees in the garden at all so far this year.

My question, is there any likelyhood that these could be scouts looking for somewhere and i could end up with a swarm come knocking on my door?

Hives!

Get all the rest, but the one, moved elsewhere. Your chances of picking up a swarm, without need for 'collection', will be doubled, tripled or whatever.

Regards, RAB

Sorry i didnt notice your topic. Maybe a mod will delete this one.

You are as deserving a thread/topic as anyone else......same question/different person/reason/location/background, no reason to delete :)

Only one mod.......Admin.........
king-033.gif

:rofl:

Frisbee

Hives!

Get all the rest, but the one, moved elsewhere. Your chances of picking up a swarm, without need for 'collection', will be doubled, tripled or whatever.

Regards, RAB

Done! I put the other in the workshop out of the way.
Ive also switched the floors over from mesh to solid to allow for a larger entrance gap! Hopefully this will entice them to come and make a new home! :)

Done! I put the other in the workshop out of the way.
Ive also switched the floors over from mesh to solid to allow for a larger entrance gap! Hopefully this will entice them to come and make a new home! :)

Solid floor yes but the entrance wants to be reduced to 2" the bees will think it is a good size to defend especially when they are setting up a new home.
Also it is believed to paint around the entrance white to highlighting the entrance

To answer your original question. Swarm season depends on build up, weather, forage, space, disposition - loads in fact but is generally regarded as being at it's height May & June.

Increase your chances further by adding some old comb if you have it, some undrawn foundation is that is all you have got. Generally thought that bees more likely to adopt a site previously used by bees.

I think it has already been said but spread your bait hives out, only one per location. If you have friends spread out and they are willing put a bait hive in each of their gardens - say at mile distances from each other.

spread your bait hives out, only one per location.

Yep, that was what I was meaning - not to put the others where they can not possibly attract a swarm! (assumed from "Done! I put the other in the workshop out of the way.")

RAB

RAB, understood and took your meaning (and agree), just felt the hives could be put to better use if billotted on a few friends!

I did understand the comments, its just at the moment i have my new hives at home, both were in the garden just sat there doing nout!
I suppose i should move the second hive to its new home which is some miles away, i am a bit dubious of doing now, as there still aint that much greenery on the trees and i the risk of theft is higher. Hence the comment about putting the second in the shed!

Blimey, now even i am confused :D

Back