Bait hives set

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take them over to York and site them,you will get loads(Thats just a tease at Jimbeekeeper who lives there).;)

Box type/size

The hive that I got Bee's in, [by mistake!], was a National, but there were no frames in it at the time.

It simply was a scrappy collection of "bit's" down the side of the shed.

I can only assume that they went for the smell of wax, propolis, and previous Bee's.

Let's face it, if they will live in a hollow tree, with a whacking great hole in the side as an entrance, which must be difficult to defend, then a nice straight sided box, be it wood, cardboard, polystyrene, with a natty little entrance block, albeit without Doric columns, must be like Buckingham Palace!!

John [sameagle]

I use travel boxes ?30 each from Thornes(I purchased them to collect swarms in I am telephoned about as they are safe in the car with the kids) but very easy to make,plus I use any empty hives and Nuc boxes I have around.
Admin can you post some instructions on how to make the travel boxes.
I'm using 3 frame nucs- these are made from cutting a standard brood box into 4. Some people say that a prime swarm is unlikely to go into anything other than a full size hive? Has anyone experimented with different sized hives and how they attract swarms?

I'm interested to know if you guys and gals leave the entrance block/reducer in a bait hive (say a National) to avoid any unwanted critters, or not?

Thanks finman
From the article the best sized hive was 40 litres- my mating boxes are 12 L so may be too small. Anyway I'll still give things a go this season with the small bate hives.

Thanks finman
From the article the best sized hive was 40 litres- my mating boxes are 12 L .

You just have to hope that the bees that find your 12l bait hive did not read the report that a 40L one is best!:svengo:

i think i read somewhere to burn some newspaper in a bait hive if its new timber... cant find it now, maybe i dreamt it...

What happened to your special bait Admin?

My hive is set out in the garden on the off chance.

Yes a lot of research was done and lo... the preferred size was a Langstroth. Volume of which also marries quite neatly with chimney pots...LOL

PH

Funny:) Usually all the more experienced beeks on here are keen to give advice.

It should help. At ?7 plus postage it won't break the bank. I tried another one called Charme last year that is an orange cream that comes in a tube and smelled of oranges. It didn't do me any good. Good Luck!

Reptile1 Send me your £7 and I think your chances will be about the same as it you had bought it:cheers2::svengo:

Best things are

A Somthing you did not want them to make a hive in!:toetap05:

B Some very old comb you where about to melt down and palm off to Thones as puka A1 wax!:cheers2:

C If non of the above go to your locAL health food shop and get some lemon grass essintial oil about £2:patriot:

Answers coming along like busses now!! lol

It to me sounds like you either get luck or you don't!

What about pure essential lavender oil...found some lying around in the bathroom? I know a very good health food shop so will get myself some lemongrass if not. As for the old comb, with not keeping bees before this may be difficult?

Me and wifey off to beeking course on Sat/Sun, hoping to get some contacts were we can purchase a nuc.

Thank you for your replies.

When you've got the swarm in the box, is re-homing them as straight-forward as:

having the new hive ready
a ramp up to the entrance - ramp covered with sheet or poly
tip bees (gently) out at the base of the ramp
allow bees to walk up the ramp to their new home
mark queen if you spot her

Is there anything I'm missing and what do I do to the newly-homed swarm in the following few days / week?

Bon Jour Normandie,
That about covers it except "tipping gently" will not work. A sharp downward movement and sudden stop to get 95% out in one go followed by a bang with a fist to get the remainder onto your sheet. I would leave the queen marking until they have settled in - say about a week later. Regards action after hiving, if they are your bees feed a 1:1 syrup to encourage comb building. If they are from an unknown source delay the feed for 3 days so that they use up any honey they brought with them and don't store it - potential desease.
Watching a pile of bees decide to move in and then run into the hive is one of beekeeping's spine tingling moments. - enjoy
:cheers2: Mike

What happened to your special bait Admin?

One of the ingredients that I wanted never arrived,I contacted the company who kept saying "Next 10 days".

I have found another company in London who have said they can get it but only in litre bottles @ ?78 a bottle plus delivery,I only wanted about 20mls.

Back