bait hive worked

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstroud

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
had some success with a bait hive! I set up a few of these this year and last Friday when I visited one which had I had put there about 4 weeks before I found it had worked and even though the grass had grown up in front of the hive entrance the bees had moved in!!

The bait hive was situated approx 100m from a colony which lives in a hollow oak tree. I am pretty certain the colony which moved in, is from that source. I moved the bees (which are a dark strain) in the evening and had a look at them over the weekend. Unfortunately I did cut out some of the wild comb they had built (I had only put two old frames in the bait hive- and I think the swarm had been there at least a couple of weeks). The bees stayed put despite me taking their wild comb away and have started on the frames of foundation I gave them- we have a good flow here at the moment.

I hav'nt seen the queen yet, but am looking forward to spotting her, and seeing how they do- quite amusing to see them getting used to the manmade hive after starting out in the oak tree!

Can you enlarge on what is actually amusing you? How are they behaving differently?

RAB

Well a lot of swarms seem to hang around in the roof space of the hive,before going down. I just wondered if the swarm from the colony living in the oak tree had taken longer to go down, because they are used to a more 'natural' home, but I think this is quite common behaviour for a swarm. I had a look yesterday- and there were very few in the roof.

They have got used to the entrance quickly and are drawing out the frames a treat.
Chris

your the 3rd person i have heard of thats had there bait hive work in the past week, good luck with the swarm.

I put mine down to the lemongrass oil... Julie is maintaining it is her swarm as I ain't paid her for the oil LOL

PH

I put mine down to the lemongrass oil... Julie is maintaining it is her swarm as I ain't paid her for the oil LOL

PH

Isn't a store-bought lure likely to work better than lemon grass oil?

I've had no success with my bait hives and from talking to other beeks, there have been lots of swarms in the area.

I set 4 bait hives two with swarm lures and two with lemon grass oil so far one success and with the lemon grass oil.

Me thinks you should read the pricing thread.

My HALF pound cut comb is selling happily at £4-50.

*grins*

PH

your the 3rd person i have heard of thats had there bait hive work in the past week, good luck with the swarm.

3 successful bait hives in two weeks! :coolgleamA:

2 were from the same location. I only replaced the bait hive two days before catching a new swarm... (the spot was left vacant for over a week)

Latest posts

Back