bait hive success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidair

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
View attachment 1963

View attachment 1964 Hi Hi new to forum and beekeeping but after months of research and joining local beekeepers society put out a few bait hives and this was the result .The ones on the outside couldn't get in so i transfered them to a brood box and left them there a day to settle fantastic!.

Looks like they should be on doublebrood already!!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Regards, RAB

Hi Solidair.

That looks like a fair size swarm. It must have been a huge colony before they swarmed.

Darren.

I hope the cattle don't take a fancy to scratching their bums on your hive :willy_nilly:
Maybe worth investing in a little wood and wire?

John Wilkinson

I hope the cattle don't take a fancy to scratching their bums on your hive :willy_nilly:

John Wilkinson

Can you imagine scratching your bum on hive and 50,000 unhappy bees coming after you ;o~ one anaphylactic cow :willy_nilly:

Thank you for making me smile with that thought!
I'm still giggling.............

Tell me more about your techinque. What does the bait-hive look like? What "bait" did you load into your trap?

Last edited:
Hi Solidair, welcome, and what a good looking swarm...

I lost two colonies over winter from cattle using them as scratching posts. Now have fenced off with metal gates and electric fencing as well. The cattle weren't supposed to be in the field, but got put there due to an emergency. My lesson? Always fence off hives.

optical illusion

Hi Everyone thanks for your comments regarding the bait hive and cattle using the hive as a scratching post .Im actually standing 10ft up on top of a walled garden with the field of beast behind maybe i should become an illusionist.Might add bees are real and have drawn most of the brood box in a week laying well and filled one super with stores.Should i go to a brood and a half ?.I 'll be putting another super on at the weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John Wilkinson

A very good point. Cattle can be a little too inquisitive at times...

Latest posts

Back