Bait Hive and Swarming Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rae

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 and 3 nucs...it's swarm time...
We've set up a bait hive at the top of the field, about 200m from the existing hives. It is simply a national brood with a few frames of foundation in there (we don't have any old comb), and a swarm lure.

I've often seen the odd bee investigating, having a look inside, and then leaving. Last weekend we saw several bees flying from the front and returning - so naturally we thought we'd picked up a swarm. They were very black bees indeed, certainly not from our hives.

When we had a closer look, we realised that about 20 or 30 bees had arrived at this hive, gone inside, done nothing, and left by the evening.

Are these scouts? Does a colony that is thinking of swarming send out parties in advance to check out potential locations? Or were these just some hung over bees after a tough afternoon on the OSR having a breather?

It is working and bees are checking it out.
As I understand it when a primary swarm leave a hive they can already have a number of preselected destinations. The thing is what makes yours more desirable than the others perhaps a welcome mat, big private garden, nice neighbours.
Good look happy fishing

Thanks! If we get something, I'll take some pictures!

We had a hive ready and waiting last year.
One fine day when I was visiting our other hive I noticed a big black bulge on the side of the hive.
It was the size of half a basket ball.
I carefully lifted the roof and knocked the swarm in. They were very happy there.
Sadly we had a drone laying queen with it so she had to be superceeded.
But great experience.

Good luck with the lure.!!
Danny

Once upon a time I watched a swarm "argue" over which of two bait hives was the better and after a couple of hours they made a decision but it was quite amusing to see clouds of bees going from one to the other, then the final move in.

PH

danro,

The term superceded in bee-ology means the colony replacing the queen (without swarming). In your case I think she was replaced, by whatever method you may have chosen, unless she was laying some fertilised eggs and the bees did this all on their own, without any outside assistance.

Supercedure usually means there will be two queens in residence for at least a short while.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Regards, RAB

danro,

The term superceded in bee-ology means the colony replacing the queen (without swarming). In your case I think she was replaced, by whatever method you may have chosen, unless she was laying some fertilised eggs and the bees did this all on their own, without any outside assistance.

Supercedure usually means there will be two queens in residence for at least a short while.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Regards, RAB

:eek: You are completely correct.
We did replace her.
(Just goes to show, I'm still new to this beekeeping lark :))

we had similar last year a good number of bees were tooing and froing from a hole in our house wall, by the time I got home from work there was no one there I was very sad.

as i understand it from reading an american paper (seeley and visscher, apidologie 35 2004 p101-116) scouts head off in all directions initially but then there starts to be more focussed activity based on "discovery" of suitable sites followed by a **** of activity heading to and from the selected site just prior to swarming.

of course at least one occasional visitor to this forum would suggest that what matters most is that you site your bait hives where your dowsing rods indicate.

A common model. Paper mass. 40 litre= volume of langstroth box, to the height of 5 m

swarmtrap.jpg

Last edited:
Do I win anything?

Depends what you are you going to.

in USA they try to trap Africanized bee swarms that they do nest less some where else. They have developed efficient trap models and researched what attracts swarms.

That amazed me that the bait hive must be so big. A langstroth hive 40 litre can take 2 kg bees. It is not a big swarm. The best swarms 4-5 kg cannot stay in one langstroth hive.

Has anyone heard of a bee sausage?

My Granfather used to hang one in the apple tree on his allotment on April 1st every year,, and he would tell everyone it was a swarm lure............
usually a swarm would settle in an old chimney pot and off he would go again!

Latest posts

Back