Bait and move

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Is it sensible to put out a bait hive in a nice sunny place, but then - when a swarm turns up to occupy it - move it to somewhere 200m away that is where I'd want to have the hive sited long-term?

I can see that this is cheating and, if there is something really unhelpful about the final hive location, the bees don't get a chance to 'communicate' that by turning down my intended spot; I guess the forage and the hive itself would be the same, just the sunny aspect that might change for the worse.

Any thoughts? What do others do?

FG

PS - might have to change my signature :-(

Sounds fine Firegazer,just dont keep them in the swarm location for to long,the sooner you get them to their new home the better.

Put a QE under the brood box and give them a good feed after 24-48 hours,as soon as you have eggs it is safe to remove the QE.

Dont beat yourself up over your loss,most of use have beekeeping stories that would make your hair curl.

Send me your address and I will pop a couple of swarm lures in the post for you.

FG, what you have described as a proposal is exactly what I did (and it worked last year). In fact I blocked the bait hive and only moved it about 20m with no adverse affect at all. I plan to do the same this year. I will position one bait hive at home and move it to the apiary if succesful. As Admin suggested though, I moved it within hours of securing the swarm (first evening after they settled). Last year my bait hive was my oldest brood box and floor with some old comb in it. This year will be the same with the addition of a pheromone attractant. R

Rosti - thanks for your info, I'll try and keep checking them regularly.

Admin - thanks very much for the swarm lures, I'll put them to good use. You're a generous bloke and I'm very grateful.

FG

Latest posts

Back