Bailey Comb Change, what to do with stores.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteeveeTee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have just removed the bottom brood box with old frames following a Bailey Combe Change (carried out to get fresh brood frames as nuc frames I bought last year of indeterminate age, just trying to be hygienic). The top brood box had drawn out 7 frames which were laid up apart from 1 frame of stores and 1 of nothing. I have added three frames of foundation and a super as the bottom brood frames were covered in bees largely.

My question is what to do with four frames from the bottom brood box, which were full of stores (half uncapped). I left them on top of the super for the time being.

I half hoped that the bees would move it down as I made the snap decision, but now this doesn't make much sense, would they be more likely to store more there. Anyway the comb was treated with apiguard so would the fresh stores get tainted?

Would I be better off uncapping it and putting it in a bait hive? Would they then find it and harvest it? I am most tempted by leaving these frames in a bait hive, which will be used to house an artificial swarm later, at which point I will bein them. Seems a wast though.

Any help appreciated.
Steve.

Firstly you never put stores in a bait hive; it would be robbed out and could spread disease.

Second, you most certainly do not want sugar syrup in your honey and even worse, thymol.

Would I be better off uncapping it and putting it in a bait hive? Would they then find it and harvest it? I am most tempted by leaving these frames in a bait hive, which will be used to house an artificial swarm later, at which point I will bein them. Seems a wast though.

Steve.

Nooooooooooo! Disease! Noooooo!
Cazza

I anticipate having the same scenario this week. My plan was to freeze the frames for 48hrs and then wrap the frames in cling film and store, ready to re-feed back to the bees later in the year should they need it. I added thymol to my autumn feed last year so I hope that the frames will keep okay until such a time as needed..
I wondered if they would also be useful when making up nucs too - I know that my frames have come from healthy disease free hives.

But I'm happy to be advised differently by the wiser amongst us as this is my first time with this situation.

Thanks for advice, won't put in bait hive but have also thought that they won't store as uncapped. Bin?!

Hi Jimmys Mum and SteeveeTee,
I am gradually getting through the saved stores as one hive was short due to brood rearing and another one going the same way now. One had been uncapped so I just stored it in my light and sunny attic for a few weeks. Judging by my PH there is definitely a flow on here, so they are all developing at a different rates.

Latest posts

Back