Badgers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering does anyone get any trouble with badgers raiding hives i know they like to dig wasp nests out

I personally haven't but I know beekeepers who have hives knocked over by badgers

I personally haven't but I know beekeepers who have hives knocked over by badgers
A lot of people think of badgers as just nice furry animals without knowing how strong they are..

Devon is alive with Badgers... I have had them come in thru the cat flap and under our bed!!
Hives are straped down as we have the brocks in the woods accross the valley and in the bank in neighbours paddock!
Never had one go for a hive tho!

Last edited:
I have had badgers scratch at the front of the hive before but they were kept less than 20ft from a set. They never pushed the hive over luckily.

Badgers will knock over and feed on bee hives but like all creatures , if you put or they find an easy meal they will take advantage.......bit like an unprotected chicken house and foxes.
Have heard of problems with badgers and the best way I am told is to put an electric netting fence around hives until they learn that the 'easy meal' comes with an almigty 'sting'!
Cheers
S

Badgers will knock over and feed on bee hives but like all creatures , if you put or they find an easy meal they will take advantage.......bit like an unprotected chicken house and foxes.
Have heard of problems with badgers and the best way I am told is to put an electric netting fence around hives until they learn that the 'easy meal' comes with an almigty 'sting'!
Cheers
S

I read in John Vivian's book Keeping Bees.... that bears will take hives apart in the wilds os the USA and Canada and best defence was an electrified fence.

I suppose badgers take the place of bears in the UK...... possibly they have bears still in Scandinavia, although I gotta admit the largest mammal I met in the wilds of Sweeden's forested north was a Moose!

Latest posts

Back