badgers and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loving_allsorts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello there.
I have just found a farmer not far form me who said that he has some land he's happy for me to put some hives on. He also has a couple of badger sets not far from where I intend to put the bees.

Does this situation need managing or do they get a stung nose and leave well alone? Anybody with experiences of Badger attacks or co-existance? Anybody have any advise on how to prevent hive destruction?

I currently have a hive on an allotment and the badger there has actually made a track under the apairy fence and around the hives so I know it visits. The hives have been there for about 2 years now and I've never had issues on that site.

I wonder though if it is different when there are more of them out in the country?

Many thanks

Mark

Badgers regularly dig up bluebell bulbs in our woodland.
They don't seem to have found the hives yet...yet...:rolleyes:

I suggest you keep the hive strapped up when not inspecting so if they rub up against the hive, it won't split apart even if it topples over

I set up a trail camera to cover my home apiary in the hope of picking up unusual bee activity - didn't work, bees too small to trigger it. However it has recorded visits from cats, foxes and badgers during the night. They were obviously just passing through because there is no sign in daylight that anything has been there.
So I would say badgers are no threat unless you try and block their track.

I've seen badgers go for compost bins to get fruit skins, effective at tearing them apart. I'd think most hives would be reasonably well defended by the bees. Could be more problems when it's cold, food is short and the bees are less active.

There are hive stands sold as 'badger proof', I think FP does some, they are boxes which you fill with rocks or rubble so I guess they may have a go at pushing or breaking the boxes apart. Best strategy is probably to strap the hive down to a heavy base. Make the hive resistant to initial attack until the bees can mobilise.

Thanks for the input folks.
I found only one video on youtube showing badger damage, but from the look of it I wonder how often the gent went down to inspect his bees and therefore how strong the colony was (seems from the hive that it had been empty a while.) Iven he said he'd been using flimsy plastic mesh for the floor.

Are there any other reports out there. I'm feeling a lot better listening to everybodies responses.
Many thanks
Mark

If they are hungry like they must of been in some areas last spring,then they will destroy hives and nucs to get at the brood and stores inside,they are obviously not put off by bees stinging them,nor wasps or bumbles when digging out the nests.

I have heard of what HM says but have had no issues myself, yet. 1 of my apiaries has everything wild go through it or live in it. Badgers, deer, foxes, frogs, toads, newts, owls, snakes the list goes on. Even saw what appeared to be big cat tracks in the snow last year. Nothing has ever, so far touched my hives. Ah, except a lizard fell out from under the crownboard of 1 hive last week n loads of slugs/earwigs in most hives this year.

There is a HUGE (20+ holes) badger sett within 1/2mile of our hives. Badgers regularly visit the garden and eat rasps and pears and strawberries. :-( They so far have ignored the hives...

Badgers dig holes and cr*p in our garden every night. They have not disturbed the hives yet, but I have only had bees this year.

p.s. Does anyone know how to discourage badgers without breaking the law?

Had the front of one of my polyhives nearly gouged out by a badger a few months back.
Had a real go.
Have since lifted the hives from 9'inch stands to 18 and no repetition.
They are completely out of control in our part of the world.
No natural predator left now.

Had badgers topple hives and make hole in polynuc last year. I solved problem with electric wire around hives,don't use netting or tape as they have thick fur and only wire will get through. Not had any problem since, trail camera show them actively avoiding the area.
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are hungry like they must of been in some areas last spring,then they will destroy hives and nucs to get at the brood and stores inside
No trouble here...drought periods quite common in Spring and Autumn and two setts have tracks etc through the main apiary. They massacre chickens though...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

No natural predator left now

You are right there. Not so many wolves, lynx, bears, Wolverines and eagle owls.

Some of those might provide a far bigger threat than our delightful Brock.

Not sure what you mean by 'completely out of control in our part of the world
, though. Clearly they would reach an equilibrium within the food chain at some point?

Man is Brock's worst enemy and there are plenty of those around!

Last edited:
p.s. Does anyone know how to discourage badgers without breaking the law?[/QUOTE said:
Distroy all fruit bearing trees, fruit, and all plants in your garden and concrete the whole thing. Then use four layers of razer wire from touching the floor to 6ft high. On top of that build a 12 ft wide 6 ft deep moat around the perimeter of your house and fill it with pyrahnas. The only thing is if you don't get planning permission you may be breaking the law.

Should stop the badgers.. good luck.. :)

No trouble here...drought periods quite common in Spring and Autumn and two setts have tracks etc through the main apiary. They massacre chickens though...

Your Lucky SB, Michael Collier near you needed to put electric fencing all round his mating nucs last spring, to prevent badger damage during the dry weather, and i had several poly nucs completely destroyed,some chewed up and spread over a large area,some never found,and a few full size hives attacked as well, very soon put a stop to this problem though..;)

Badgers dig holes and cr*p in our garden every night. They have not disturbed the hives yet, but I have only had bees this year.

p.s. Does anyone know how to discourage badgers without breaking the law?

A) fencing
B) electric fencing

Fencing not technically legal .

You must not put an obstruction in the way of badgers if you are aware they are using that route . Even if you do they will dig round , under or climb over it .

There's only one way to stop it completely and it aint legal .
G

we could all take our bees to somerset where the cull is going ahead.. soon wont be many left there

Latest posts

Back