Bad Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelwine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have had bad weather in Sheffield for most of the week. This has resulted in the bees not flying and im worried that my virgin queen might not have had a chance to mate yet!
The plus side is that when the sun comes out there will no doubt be a fat nectar flow!

Anyway in my other hive I was wondering what do the bees get up to when bad weather sets in? Obvioulsy they are not foraging as much, do they shift to housekeeping mode and build combs etc?
Thanks
Will

Sharpen their stingers I think:boxing_smiley:

Welcome to the forum

And the swarm committee get together and work out where to hide queen cells:coolgleamA:

and of course the obligatory hive party with pleanty of mead:lurk5::cheers2::party::party:

well just went to tuck the girls up tonight its was bright, showery rain, windy and 17c ( put a varroa board in really)

looked at the hive to see what they were doing, i have about 30 bees in the entrance block area at any one time, just coming up in group..feelers out , staying a few monents, turning around them exchanging pheromones and returning to the inner hive

I'm in Sheffield as well, mine sit at the hive entrance and look out like kids in a caravan on a rainy holiday in England.

It's been bright and sunny here all afternoon , bit windy though.But can't have it all :)

We always got something like this,with my parents saying "Well it never looked like that in the brochure when we booked it"

We always had an outside pool though,a very large puddle from the non stop rain.

I'm taking my kids (9 year old daughter and 6 year old son) away next week.

First proper holiday we've ever had together as they live with their mother down in Cambridge.

I hope we manage to gather some memories such as yours Admin. Anything will do.

Have a great time WPC- lots of hugs- lots of getting wet, dirty (in the nicest possible way) lots of giggles. Just being together is what they will want.

And that queen stuck in with the weather - she has time to get out yet- dont worry. Some good days coming-

And that queen stuck in with the weather - she has time to get out yet- dont worry. Some good days coming-

Will she still be laying but only drones, and will the bees tolerate her not laying for that long? I would have thought they would be impatient. Could some explain it to me please.

seriously

As the bees are unable to go out and forage I am hoping that the large number of forages inside my two hives have turned to housework and are drawing out the spare foundation I have given them at a terrific rate (they have loads and loads of stores so shouldnt be a problem food wise?)

If they have not drawn this foundation when I open the hive this weekend I will be left wondering what on earth they have been doing!! just sitting there???

More rain = better nectar flow! ;) It has been pretty dry in the SW

She'll be choosing outfits with the rest of the girls...

well just went to tuck the girls up tonight its was bright, showery rain, windy and 17c ( put a varroa board in really)

looked at the hive to see what they were doing, i have about 30 bees in the entrance block area at any one time, just coming up in group..feelers out , staying a few monents, turning around them exchanging pheromones and returning to the inner hive

Call those bees? Same weather here, mine are still flying, just sideways!:)

Sunshine, cloud, rain and then repeat from the start all with plenty of wind!
Just walked past my hives at lunch time and had to laugh at the poor bees trying to land and getting blown round the side of the hive!
Still they are flying!
Also hoping the bad weather helped them to decide to draw foundation in the supers and move stores upsatirs!

We've had strong southwesterly winds for the last couple of days. I reckon that half of my lot must be somewhere over Newcastle by now.

If you live in Newcastle and see them, please let them know that the sun is shining again now, and I've put the roof back on the hive for them. So will they please now come home?

Latest posts

Back