Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The vote on the motion that the BBKA should withdraw from pesticide endorsement was lost:

By show of hands:
For 25
Against 30
Abstain 3

By membership:
For 4588
Against 9829
Abstain 1025

In fairness to the executive committee, I don't think they influenced it - it was directly down to the associations.

Not the BBKAs finest hour.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
God, there are some pig ignorant or stupid bee keepers out there - now they have the facts and still endorse the liaison with Bayer - words nearly fail me- its all very sad

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Beyond Belief.
But its a big part of the reason why i have not renewed my association subscription.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
I knew it would happen, there were maneouvrings in my local area which placed "chemical-company-line-toeing Stassi" in total charge-one as Chairmen -one of the local association, one as the county's..........:svengo:

Repwoc 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I suppose if all the nays vote with their feet, the ayes will win when the hands are counted.

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
What I find extraordinary is that the monetary sums involved are tiny, dwarfed by the risk of lost revenue from those that do choose to walk with their feet. There are 25 BKA's representing 4588 beekeepers. Some of those BKA's feel strongly enough there is a risk the whole BKA will disengage from BBKA. Plus of course members dropping out of the 33 other local BKA's. But is it likely to happen in numbers? BBKA clearly believe it won't be significant.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Then they have their heads up their proverbials!!!

From the apparent closeness of the show of hands vote as
against the card vote it would seem that the larger associations voted
against. I wonder if they were mandated??
Can the voting indications of each area be made public- or found out:)

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
God, there are some pig ignorant or stupid bee keepers out there
let me get this right, if I dont agree with you then I am either ignorant or stupid?? is this how it works in your world?

lol, your making me laugh, ppl are never happy, you put your case and when you lost the vote by a majority your answer is to then hurl insults....

if this is the way you appoach ppl in debate then its no wonder they are tuned off to the subject

just my view on how you replied here :grouphug: also I would have voted 'for' if I could :)

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Regarding the vote for members of their associations, although the committee of my association gave out plenty of information for the membership to have their say the turnout was pathetic.

I now truly believe that the majority of members really could not care less what happens outside their little environment or apiary. They are quite happy to leave it to the committee and not become involved.

Have a look at the size of your association and then estimate how many were for the proposal by Twickenham BKA. I am in an association of over 400 members.

What a pitiful state were in.:puke:

Regards;

an apathetic committed beekeeper!!!!

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I now truly believe that the majority of members really could not care less what happens outside their little environment or apiary.
Well Bcrazy, you have described little old me in your response and i dont mind admitting it.

But before you have a go, i joined my association, and even joined the committee for a period, i got involved and i wanted to help new members and new beekeepers not feel left out in the cold once they had paid their subs.

However, i almost gave up beekeeping after a year after getting fed up with the internal politics, the " my honey is better than your honey" events, the constant refusal to accept the environment is changing and therefore embrace or try new techniques, i could go on, but i wont.

So i did try to do my bit, could i have tried harder, probably yes, but if i had remained involved, i can honestly say that i would have given up the whole hobby by now.

(Not having a go at anyone, just admitting that Bcrazy is accurate to a degree)

Last edited:

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hi grizzly,
I do not hold any grudge against beekeepers who do not become involved in the wider spectrum of the higher politics at national level.

We all have to say to ourselves do I want to become involved in the policies of the association and of the BBKA. I realise where your coming from grizzly and I do know the feeling of being stuck in the mire of 20 years ago, all because some members will not accept change.

Someone mentioned about calling non involved members names, and that in its self is stupid because we all are different and think differently.

I just wish more beekeepers would become a little more knowledgeable about what's happening within the beekeeping world, and out of their little niche.

There's always another time for voting.

Regards;

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I just wish more beekeepers would become a little more knowledgeable about what's happening within the beekeeping world, and out of their little niche.

Regards;
:iagree:

The BBKA at times seem to think that we still have an empire,beekeeping has changed in the last 50 years but they seem stuck in the old committee ways.
People are more savy now what with the internet etc.
You can't treat members life sheep anymore,the committee are there to represent members not control them..

I have recently been sent a copy of an email they sent to a commercial company that reads like they are demanding answer's to what the company plan for it's beekeeping customers,maybe thats why they have created a new post so they can comunicate better with business.

Like Grizzly I have also not renewed this year and have no plans to until they drag themselves into the new milenium.

Apis 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
...but isn't that the world (country) we live in. Our 'betters' are desperate to maintain their diminishing hold onto power in a world that seems at odds to the 'good old days' when deference and respect were the orders of the day.

tonybloke 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
I'm afraid it's the same in many walks of life, folk are keen to bitch and moan, but not so keen to get involved (at any level) just look at the dwindling percentages of the population who even vote, yet the self-same non-voting folk are usually vocal enough in the canteen / pub arena. :(

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that......... There are things called "principles", which sadly appear to have been largely forgotten these days........
The "change it from the inside" argument is often bandied about regarding the BBKA, but I think that they have placed themselves SO far outside the bounds of decency, respectable behaviour, honesty and democracy as to make membership of that organisation somewhat akin to being a member of the BNP, TonTon Macoute, or the Ku Klux Klan........... and to be seen to be numbered as one of "them" would add my name to the list of forelock-tuggers to the agrochemical industry - in the vernacular, not on your nelly!
So, it's not a case of choosing not to vote, its a case of being sufficiently concerned to choose not to be a part of something so utterly disgraceful........the moment there's a properly democratic society that is not associated to the poisoners of bees they'll have me as a keen and participatory member, until then I hope the organisation withers and dies as it so richly deserves to do............

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We should push to reintroduce this proposition at the next BBKA meeting - to be thrashed out once and for all.
We should just be thankful for the Twickenham bee keepers who are not so 'wet' as other areas seem to be.

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
...but isn't that the world (country) we live in. Our 'betters' are desperate to maintain their diminishing hold onto power in a world that seems at odds to the 'good old days' when deference and respect were the orders of the day.
One of the interesting moments of the ADM - a local association wanted to become a direct member of the BBKA, in order to gain access to European grant funding. This was strongly opposed by the delegate from Devon, a previous president of the BBKA. The open argument he gave was greater cost for the BBKA, with a sub-text that this would open the flood gates for other associations to do the same. I think these were both specious arguments and that the core problem he had was that the power of large counties to call the policy shots would be eroded - effectively saying that democracy would be bad for him. Incidently, Devon did vote to continue endorsement for money.

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Roche
Was the "direct member" proposal for this association voted down or did it go ahead?

thanks
Peter

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I believe it went ahead, although I didn't take notes on that one...

Latest posts