B.S Nuc box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Could members have a look at the plan below and tell me if everything sounds right before I start cutting.

any way to zoom in? my eyes are failing me :)

Right click and save to desktop.then open in a picture viewer and expand it ?

I had it as an email last year but it looks like it's one made by Adamsm(BBKA mod) from West Bromwich.

I made a couple of those up to that plan.

I came to the conclusion there wasn't much point in making them like that. Because it's 8mm board ( I used 9mm) the joints are fiddly and the whole thing is a bit weak and thin and cold in bad weather.

I find that 18mm ply is as cheap and much easier to use. If you are making nucs, then follow a standard nat bb and floor design, and just make it half the width. Instead of a rebated joint with lugs, simply use a butt joint and glue and screw it.

I made one like this yesterday, I could photo it if anyone wanted to see how it goes.

You will end up with something robust and useable through the winter.

FWIW, Hedgerow Pete has the right idea on nucs, just copy what he does.

Last edited:
As another thought, I had wondered whether to give up wooden nucs altogether and use polyboxes instead.

Perhaps others will comment on that thought.

As another thought, I had wondered whether to give up wooden nucs altogether and use polyboxes instead.

Perhaps others will comment on that thought.

Where can one buy a poly nuc box that will take DN4 frames anyone??

The short answer is you cant so I suppose I will have to post the pics I took today as I made up four. ;)

PH

For that dosh you can buy TWO of the right ones from Swinty and I'll show you how to convert them for free.

PH

For that dosh you can buy TWO of the right ones from Swinty and I'll show you how to convert them for free.

PH

Looking forward to it. I might be off to C.Wynne Jones in the next week or two to purchase some.

I don't think C W J does poly nucs, only nat bbs. But they would be easy to mod I expect.

I don't think C W J does poly nucs, only nat bbs. But they would be easy to mod I expect.

I think that they can get any Swienty stock in if you ask them - they're quite accommodating as a rule I find.

Oh yes, they also sell poly hive components INDIVIDUALLY too....i.e if you want just a brood box (I was searching for a poly one on here the other week) then you can get it without having to buy a whole poly hive.

They were out of stock not that long ago.... I umm bought it all...LOL

PH

So, do they do nat nucs ? or only langs ?

When they've got any left that is ........ ?

JC.

Latest posts

Back