B&Q timber cutting - no longer much use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
At my local B&Q Warehouse (Coventry) yesterday, I noticed they have put up a sign saying they no longer cut widths smaller than 200 mm. Too many beekeepers getting parts for supers?

Paul

I think it depends which way the cut goes - my B&Q cut some plywood for me a fortnight ago b- 140mm wide in a horizontal rip along the length of a, 8x4 sheet - the problem comes with vertical sheets as the timber falls through the gaps in the cutting frame I think

its probably an health and safety aspect from the powers that be upstairs, my local has a notice posted at the cutting booth stating as much, but the 2 guys trained on the machine are normally happy to cut as small as 150mm.

I got B&Q in Ayr to strip cut some 12mm ply for me.Unfortunately they managed to work a taper into the lengths and they went to 5mm wider at the bottom.Fortunately the taper got wider and not narrower,so I was able to re-size at home - so don't rely on timber cutting services to produce accurate dimensions.

B&Q! :puke:

I'd go further than the cutting service. I've found that B&Q timber is expensive and cr*p. Any possibility of a local supplier that is happy to cut it for you?

Bobster

The independent timber suppliers in Richmond will both cut 8x4 sheets for free. I just get them to cut them lengthways into strips the right height for brood and super boxes. That way I have the shorter (easier) job of cutting them for length. Also, they are cheaper than B&Q, so saves me the 30min drive into Darlington. I suggest anyone pops down to their local timber merchant - much more knowledgeable, and cheaper.

Dave

many years back Viz ran an article about B&Q being forced to apologise for the inconvenience when a customer inadvertently bought a straight piece of timber.

johna - perhaps mons ab can build you a clearer board using the tapered ply?
:smilielol5:
A slight surely - how can a shop bought piece of wood come anywhere near the lovingly hand crafted tapers of the Mons. Ab workshop.

In B&Q Plymouth... ( we have 2 stores !)

Sales chappie asked me why I was looking down each piece of 4 x 2 ( well metrictred equivalent 100 x 50) every 8 ft length was twisted and bent.................
I answered that I was building a spiral staicase and needed some timber with the right twist to it... he told me that that was no good as it always dried out straight!!!

I can see how a proper timber merchant can survive against the cut throat competition the DIY barns have used to drive the propper shops from the market!!

i think B&Q believe that sawn timber comes in D and L isomers and so long as the stock on their shelves represents a racemic mixture they're happy!!!!

I was only being lazy using B&Q.Having a fully fitted out cabinet making enterprise,I buy my timber "in the rough" and normally wouldn't step over their threshhold and certainly don't usualy buy their rubbishy products but I had a need and my suppliers aren't open on Sundays.

I completely agree with Bobster's assessment of B&Q plywood. Don't waste your money. The ply is cheap and nasty and poorly bonded. Exterior quality? I think not. I get mine from W**ckes builder supplies. It's more expensive, they don't cut it to size but it's much better quality.

Chris

Where I come from there are B&Q and Wickes outlets within about 200m of each other.

I doubt that either is unaware of the unique selling points for their various 18mm ply offerings. Cheaper and better, or conveniently cut. I guess that each is addressing a slightly different market. Probably one that has the carrying capability and can cut straight on the one hand. :)

I use a local timber merchants. They are so precise with cutting; you are dealing with a person who cuts timber every day. They also seem to have more off cuts available so you can get some good prices on the smaller pieces you want. For timber I would not go near B&Q or Homebase.

Have to agree. B&Q "exterior grade" ply seems to start delaminating as soon as it gets out under the open sky. The local builders merchant or saw mill are much better.

James

The independent timber suppliers in Richmond will both cut 8x4 sheets for free. I just get them to cut them lengthways into strips the right height for brood and super boxes. That way I have the shorter (easier) job of cutting them for length. Also, they are cheaper than B&Q, so saves me the 30min drive into Darlington. I suggest anyone pops down to their local timber merchant - much more knowledgeable, and cheaper.

Dave

That's right the guys at Howarth will cut any sizes you ask for, a really good bunch.

Dave.

That's right the guys at Howarth will cut any sizes you ask for, a really good bunch.

Dave.

Actually, I use N Yorks Timber. No reason why apart from I always have and they give me a bigger discount now. Either are helpful and will do a good job.

In Preston we have an independent DIY/Timber Merchant that will cut timber to whatever size you want for free.

I was making some Dummy Boards and they cut 4 sheets of 9mm ply to the size I wanted then cut an 8 foot length of 35x9mm down to 22mm wide. Once they even cut 5mm off a door I had bought and saved me about 2 hours plaining. With this place and Screwfix nearby I never have to go to B&Q

Latest posts

Back