B&Q hive a rumour?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Is it just a rumour that B&Q are going into hive production? Has anyone any information on this?

I hope it's better than their foray into roof-mounted chocolate teapots with Swindlesave (now rightfully defunct......):rofl:

Was it short lived Brosville ?

I did pick up a leaflet last year at the exit and looking at the math it did seem a little optimistic to say the least.

I love the first comment to that article:

"In a world where my supermarket salted cashew nuts (that I'm nibbling right now) has a note saying 'Contains Nuts' will B&Q have to write something like 'Pigsty not suitable for city centre balconies.

On the subject of Swindlesaves, I came across them when they first hit the market, and thought, like you did, that they were exaggerating, and consulted the two leading experts who write most of the text books - Hugh Piggott and Paul Gipe, and found that they were excoriating in their comments - in short, roof-mounted chocolate teapots were a heartless con that would have required the rewriting of several laws of physics to have fulfilled their ludicrous claims (30% of your electrical needs in an urban area) - subsequent tests and real-life experiences bore out the experts views (many turbines generated less electricity than was needed to run the inverter)
Being the public-spirited citizen that I am, I did my best to warn people, and even wrote at length to B&Q suggesting that to market them was sheer folly........
Since then Swindlesave have gone defunct, and it cost B&Q a fortune in refunds............

Just in case anyone thinks I'm "anti-wind", I'm actually very much in favour, but they do NOT work in towns, unless you can get them up a 100' mast out of the turbulence, and mounting them on, or anywhere near a building, turbulence kills the performance stone dead.........and as a nice adjunct, building transmitted bearing noise has to be heard to be believed - one disgruntled owner complained that in a wind, his stair rods rattled!

Last edited:
Just in case anyone thinks I'm "anti-wind", I'm actually very much in favour, but they do NOT work in towns, unless you can get them up a 100' mast out of the turbulence, and mounting them on, or anywhere near a building, turbulence kills the performance stone dead.

Does anyone know if David Cameron wind generator is still on his £1m London House..put there in his Green Mode, seems recently to have forgotten about being green

On beehives, I welcome a cheep source of hives...but worried at beeks getting a bad name with hundreds of untrained NewBeekeepers with bees in urban gardens..if kids die of bee stings, it could end up with all beekeeper being registered...£100 registration fees per hive etc of course

pigsty

"Pigsty not suitable for city centre balconies"

That's a shame - balcony is the traditional home for many an italian pig being fattened for xmas!

Latest posts

Back