Awaiting a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
My bait hive, timber nat on poly floor and roof has been out for a couple of weeks with no notice I could see being taken of it.

Wednesday I sprinkled some Lemongrass Oil on the frames, some drawn comb and some foundation, and last night whilst watering the garden were there not some 20 bees popping in and out and measuring the outside and inside.

Late last night about 10pm there were still a few at it.

First thing this morning they are measuring again, and there are now (11-35) some 20 back again.

Given the heat yesterday and the heat today I am wondering if "Santa" is going to be early?

PH

They must look kinda cute with their little tape measures, measuring away :D

Is it just me or does there appear to be a distinct lack of swarms this year?

Normally i get inundated with calls for swarms, but as this i decided to start keeping bees, hardly anyone is calling about swarms. Very strange.

Even the local swarm co-ordinator isnt getting any calls either, apparently!

We were called all the way back from Birmingham mid-week by 16yo home alone because there were bees flying in and out of a hole in the oak frame by a window and up to thirty bees in two rooms of the house. She was adamant there was a swarm moving in (this is our future vet student!!). So she was sent for swarm box, lure, lemongrass, the works and placed it nearby. We arrived home to 30ish half-dead bees which she had installed in the bait hive. Perversely a couple had full pollen baskets.

Last year the same happened only eldest two were home alone (we must stop going away at half term!). Number one is wasp-phobic and they were going through a crack in her old bedroom window frame. Number two drowned "the wasps" we had been texted about and we arrived home to a small bucket of wet dead bees.

What is it about this corner of the house??!!

Normally i get inundated with calls for swarms, but as this i decided to start keeping bees, hardly anyone is calling about swarms. Very strange.

I got a swarm call Tuesday....from BUCKINGHAMSHIRE!!

Hopefully you can see some of the activity that is now going on. some 200+ bees very actively checking out the hive and some are zooming off presumably to report to the swarm.

PH

I agree, i have only had a couple which i have passed on to other beeks and a few more of my own:p but this time last year i had collected in excess of a dozen by half term.

C B

I have a couple of timber broods that I use as a last resort.

PH

I spoke too soon, today has been manic!

Wasps this morning, (bumble bees AGAIN!) then this afternoon i had a call to attend with my bee vac, when i got there, the majority of the swarm had gone.
Got home, and the same fella phoned again and a large prime swarm had landed on the other side of the house, so i goes back within 30 mins and they were in! under the tiles.

Anyway! got back home again, just about to have a cuppa, phone rings.

This time the bee gods were on my side :D

_MG_4075resize.jpg

fantastic pic !!!

i don.t know if it's just because i had a couple of pints. But
i can see an upside down kangaroo in a tree. LOL

great pic. How big is it ?

I put them in a nuc when i got home, this way none of new found friends can claim them :D

Its a fairish cast swarm, bigger than the first lot i got. But i feel that even if its just for a week, better to start them in the smaller box and get them going.

Just out of curiosity, is there a lack of decent bee photos or something, or dont beekeepers tend to take photos of thier stuff?
On most of the forums i go on, every other person thinks their a bloody photographer LOL

I have never been called out to a swarm or even seen a real swarm (still a newbie!), but have caught 3 swarms in bait hives in the last two weeks...

found two today... one caught in the garden in the same place as I caught my first two weeks ago.... I hope these are not more of Somerford Steve's bees :blush5:

Picked up a 'mahoosive' prime swarm yesterday in someone's back garden.....it was 26c too, which didn't help matters!

I can see this turning into a competition :D
Who will be the winner i wonder? The person who collects the most swarms, or the person with the biggest one?

I can see this turning into a competition :D
Who will be the winner i wonder? The person who collects the most swarms, or the person with the biggest one?

Mine had 32,564 bees in it :D

Back