Autumn requeening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
There is so much talk in anther thread

I change about 1/3 my queens in autumn during winter feeding.

My experience is that late summer is dangerous time to change the queen.
* Workers are mad against strange odors for robbing.
* if something goes wrong it will be a big gap in winterbee laying.

So, when I give winter syrup to bees, it is good time to change the queen.
Only problem is that it is diffigult to look, do bees destroy their own emergengy cells even if they accept the queen ?

Good way is to join 2 hives. First kill another queen and next day put hives together. The queen is good to put under a push in comb cage.

Without feeding you may loose many queens. It has happened to me that hive have killed 4 queens and still it remained without queen over winter.

There is so much talk in anther thread

I change about 1/3 my queens in autumn during winter feeding.

My experience is that late summer is dangerous time to change the queen.
* Workers are mad against strange odors for robbing.
* if something goes wrong it will be a big gap in winterbee laying.

So, when I give winter syrup to bees, it is good time to change the queen.
Only problem is that it is diffigult to look, do bees destroy their own emergengy cells even if they accept the queen ?

Good way is to join 2 hives. First kill another queen and next day put hives together. The queen is good to put under a push in comb cage.

Without feeding you may loose many queens. It has happened to me that hive have killed 4 queens and still it remained without queen over winter.

Is it possible to over winter a queen-less hive and have it recover ie become queen-right the next spring?

Cheers

Stiffy

My mother used to always be saying 'grow up stupid' so I did!

And how would it become queenright in the spring,.

And how would it become queenright in the spring,.

It wouldn't. I think you know that. It would dwindle and die. Unless a friendly beekeeper added a queen or united it with a nuc or another colony. Or added some eggs/brood (not the best option in the springtime, but might work before the colony dwindled away too far).

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back