autumn in the South East

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
We have been having a lot of very warm weather - last weekend it was 21 degrees. I did a check on both my hives to make sure they were not thinking of swarming as I had been told this is a possibility when it gets unseasonally warm. They seem fine, quite chilled out (no pun intended) with a little brood and plenty of stores.
I have raised the hives slightly at the back to ensure the rain does not sit on the hive.
However, they continue to forage, coming in with pollen baskets full of light yellow, orange and cream pollen.
I am reluctant to put on the mouse guard yet and have got insulation boards to go under the roof but havn't put them on yet.
I have also removed the floor catchers as I believe they need good air circulation - is this right for the whole winter?
It is going to go cold next week so this could be the turning point.
I have bought lactic acid to treat first week in December and have fondant but do not know when I should give them this and how!
Any other tips for winter would be gratefully received.
Thanks bee-smillie

You are doing fine.

In Hants I consider wintering around Bonfire night,mouseguards,check hives are stable and secure ect.

I have a solid floor on a WBC and always check the floor for mice before securing the mouseguard but I dont bother on the open mesh floors on my nationals.
I always put a brick on each roof for the winter,it stops the worry when it is blowing outside on a cold winter night.

I check Boxing day for feed and give fondant on the crownboard above the cluster as needed,It does not hurt to give all hives some an an xmas present.

If you put the mousegueards on early you will lose a lot of the Ivy pollen that they will be desperate for in February.

Lactic acid? December? Or do you mean you are going to trickle oxalic acid in sugar syrup in December?

If very cold so queen not laying- yes. Open up on a sunny day, trickle with tepid warm syrup and close up again- 5 minutes.
If still warmish and bees flying I will wait till January

We had a hard frost over night, the car window was frozen solid this morning.... now where did I leave the de-icer from last year?

PH

Visited a local garden centre this afternoon for some fleece to wrap tender plants (cold forecast for next week), whilst there I heard the familiar sound of a bumble bee ,looked round and there on a Cyclamen was an enormous Queen bumbly working every flower head . Fattening up for hibernation I suspect ?

John Wilkinson

Visited a local garden centre this afternoon for some fleece to wrap tender plants (cold forecast for next week), whilst there I heard the familiar sound of a bumble bee ,looked round and there on a Cyclamen was an enormous Queen bumbly working every flower head . Fattening up for hibernation I suspect ?

John Wilkinson

I went to a garden centre yesterday but bought some Christmas decorations - sad eh?!! :) I was overcome with excitement when i saw all those shiny decorations!!

That's why I go away in early December- bees all tucked up- and I escape all the commercial side of Christmas -I hate it!!:banghead: Come back for all the families arriving for a great meal( I hope) and lots of 'together time' .
They are selling stuff now and it gets earlier and earlier - the poor children must get so confused. Never mind- soon be Easter eggs :puke:

Don't forget Halloween :patriot:
Funny in the midst of a recession how all retail outlets on the back of an American import can give so much floor space to shoddy costumes, cauldrons, witchy things and so much more expensive rubbish.
I saw a young woman today holding a tatty Halloween themed dress, up to a toddler in a buggy (Sherman tank) and thought ,"recession, what bl**dy recession" ?

John Wilkinson

I can assure you there is a recession and it is heading further south. I am serious.

PH

Don't know about heading South, but here in Sheffield even the Uni Students are cutting back and they always have had money to spend. This is my first year of tucking up the bees for winter. Why am I so worried about them surviving. They are still taking in plenty of stores, the HB is now at long last over but the ivy is in full flow. Seem to have plenty of stores and don't want to open up the full hive in case of an accident with the queen but also heat loss. Plenty of bees. I never use to worry about things, until I kept bees.
Anyone want to buy a tee-shirt or have some graphic designing done! Merry Christmas All. lol

No - our chairman uses lactic acid and it can be found in Defra's guide to treatment for varroa - they talked about it at the workshop!

Quite agree, I hate xmas and have been away in the past,, but now have grandchildren and can't bring myself to do it!

Don't forget Halloween :patriot:
Funny in the midst of a recession how all retail outlets on the back of an American import can give so much floor space to shoddy costumes, cauldrons, witchy things and so much more expensive rubbish.
I saw a young woman today holding a tatty Halloween themed dress, up to a toddler in a buggy (Sherman tank) and thought ,"recession, what bl**dy recession" ?

John Wilkinson
well the ressesion is here it took my job but thats ok it gave me back plenty of time to play with my bees. swings and roundabouts
also had a hard frost yesterday evening so i shall start my winter prep feeders off, cut insulation, find straps, mouse guards, buy more books.

Halloween is not American: the Scots have celebrated it for centuries.

See R Burns Tam O Shanter.

Halloween is not American: the Scots have celebrated it for centuries.

See R Burns Tam O Shanter.

So have we in the North but not with all the hyperbole that has indeed been imported :patriot:

John Wilkinson

Not preparing to Trick or Treat then John?:willy_nilly:

Too old to be getting chased up the lane :rofl:
Apple bobbing I could manage (I've still got my own teeth :p )

A Swede turnip carved out and a candle inserted (great fun during the blackout when ne'er a light was to be seen )

Have you ventured into town or village during the last few weeks ? People have lost all sense of proportion !
People are obviously well under the influence of the hidden persuaders or something else ;).
Any excuse it seems to outdo the next person ,the kids enjoyment is secondary.

John Wilkinson.
Ps. I have a bowl of sweets ready ;), none of your toys, novelties etc. to impress the people dragging their kids round mind.

Back