Autoclave glass tips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is Saline filtered?

Indeed. I would make changes if there was a benefit/simplification but the changes suggested seem to bring their own difficulties with them.
It seems to be six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other. The process is difficult/complicated enough without further things that could go wrong. It's amazing that bees manage it, when you come to think of it! :)

Funny, I thought the forum was about sharing knowledge and best practice. It's sad that you think it's interference.

Funny, I thought the forum was about sharing knowledge and best practice. It's sad that you think it's interference.

Over 2700 post and you don’t even keep bees.:rolleyes:not worthy:puke:not worthy

Hi, Can I wrap glass tips in foil to Autoclave? I'm a bit worried about the finest point of the tips snapping.. Any info would be most welcome. Thanks

Flush through with IPA ( iso propyl alcohol ) and them sterile saline ( the eye was stuff)

Contamination will come from the II operators hands or the queen or the drone... not much you can do about that other than using gentamycin!

B+ and Hivemaker are the forum II experts:winner1st:

Chons da

No. You misunderstood me. I simply meant that each of the suggestions also had a downside. That is why I said I would rather stick with something I know works well for me.
I do appreciate the information. It has made me question what/ why I do thing the way I do....which can often be a good thing.

To get rid of any large particles that might clog the needles.
Or it can be sterilised by passing through a .22 micron filter...which saves autoclaving it.

The saline is already suitable for iv use so the point about large particles is not correct (although it might be if I made my own). Even though it says it's sterile, I filter it through 0.2micron bacterial filters just to be safe.

B+ and Hivemaker are the forum II experts:winner1st:

Only until someone who knows more comes along! I always listen to advice even though it may seem that I don't. I might go away and find there are benefits I hadn't considered., in which case I would change.
I spent most of my working life developing systems so I am very much aware that things change. I just want to be sure that the change is an improvement rather than just another change

Presumably you use disc filters attached to the luer connectors on the micropipettes?

Presumably you use disc filters attached to the luer connectors on the micropipettes?

The name on the box is: Whatman FP 30/0.2 CA-S
They have plastic screw attachments so they sit between the syringe and the needle. They don't fit on the micro-pipette as it is only about 1mm diameter

These pouches are designed for porous load autoclaves that use a vacuum to pull out any air trapped in the pouch which is then replaced by steam. Using such pouches in a 'standard' autoclave without a vacuum will insulate the equipment and risks preventing full sterilization.

The name on the box is: Whatman FP 30/0.2 CA-S
They have plastic screw attachments so they sit between the syringe and the needle. They don't fit on the micro-pipette as it is only about 1mm diameter

A common error that I frequently see using these filters is two directional flow. The filter should only be fitted after filling the syringe. Strikes me that if you are going to all the trouble of filtering sterile saline (which is absolutely best aseptic practice) it makes sense to sanitize with 70% ethanol. Saline and protein from drone ejaculant would I suggest make for a reasonable microbial growth medium so ensuring there are no viable spores in the pipette makes sense. Another option instead of rinsing with distilled water after sanitizing with ethanol might be to consider simply flushing through with filtered saline just before use which would flush away potential microbes and reduce the risk of contamination especially if the sperm is then stored and sent away to other users.

When cleaning the tips I use a vacuum pump to first flush the tip through with washing up liquid, then bleach, then boiling water, followed by ethanol, then the tips put in autoclave and then when using flushed through with sterile saline.

The saline driver is filled from a new sterile syringe, first filled with sterile saline then a microbial filter fitted plus sterile needle, this is then used to fill the insemination saline driver and flush through the capillary tubing and out through the glass tip, then back a fraction, ready to skim off the drone semen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back