August nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickby

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all. I have had bees now for just a year, 2 colonies but wanting more. I have chance of a 5 or 6 frame nuc ready mid august. I live on S cumbria border, is this too late to get the nuc ready for winter? Advice would be much appreciated.

Depends on the nuc....if it's a bursting with bees job with a good queen or a weak one prone to the very-present wasp attacks and robbing. I think the minimum recommended for over-wintering is six frames of brood.

Be interested to hear what others have to say...

Hi all. I have had bees now for just a year, 2 colonies but wanting more. I have chance of a 5 or 6 frame nuc ready mid august. I live on S cumbria border, is this too late to get the nuc ready for winter? Advice would be much appreciated.

less than ten percent chance of getting it thru winter, you would need poly nuc or insulated wooden nuc, and don ate either or both brood and bees

I over-wintered two five frame nucs that I created from one nuc, one spare queen + extra bees added from another colony in mid August last year. They both survived. However we did have rather good weather into late October.

If its a good strong nuc, then no problem at all....i am still making up nuc's to over winter until the the middle of august or even a little later,they over winter just fine.

I have to work for it, but no cash involved. I am just wary to take it on if I have no hope of overwintering successfully.

Pesonally, I'd try it, feed it, and keep it in my spare shed.

If its a good strong nuc, then no problem at all....i am still making up nuc's to over winter until the the middle of august or even a little later,they over winter just fine.

Love it. So what are the top tips for over wintering a strong nuc??

Love it. So what are the top tips for over wintering a strong nuc??

Make sure they are strong and healthy regards nosema and varroa treatment,have a good young queen....are in a sheltered site and well provisioned with stores....don't cram them full of food stores to early.

I try and get all my feeding done before the ivy as the stuff granulates so hard even the bees have trouble breaking it down, thymolised syrup no problem

Before we get too far down the road postulating outcomes, requirements, etc, let's be knowing a bit more - like is this likely to be a 6 frame nuc on Lanstroth frames?

Rather different set of circumstances than a weak 5 framer on National standard frames!

No its not Thymolised in lieu of apiguard, totally different reasons for application with syrup, recipes, well there are loads out there and a few on the forum, just try the search button

Less than ten percent? Hmmmm

75% of my nucs came through last winter admittedly in poly boxes. Looking at some yesterday they were on three frames of brood. Last winter was a bit special too eh?

Take your nuc and work the brood box, ie put in a frame of foundation in the middle and put foundation on either side, and make insulated dummy frames to help them get on with insulation over the crown board or even better use a block of insulation as a crown board.. (old but very good trick)

PH

Last edited:
Back