Auction Site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma1308

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is going to be awkward without breaking site rules, if I do break any rules it was not done intentionally.

I plan on getting my first hive early next year still trying to gain as much knowledge as possible from books and DVDs would this website be a good place to get a complete setup.

There is a Auction Website ***4**** as anyone purchased from this site or is it a stay away?

Thanks in advance.

no more or less risky than fleabay or the auction site here IMHO.

you get what you pay for and buyer beware.

flashy commercial websites are no guarantee of quality/security. small scale sellers choosing to use any of these routes may be good or bad or indifferent. take your pick.

Hi
obviously I don't know where in Shropshire you are or if you have joined one of the Shropshire Beekeeping Associations. But my advice would be for you to take a trip up to Ruthin and visit Wynne Jones for your kit, they sell Th**nes seconds at a good price and they are lovely, helpful people to deal with. For the bees I would suggest you ask around local beekeepers there is always someone with bees to sell and can more easily give you any back up you need. Failing that there is usually someone on this forum selling bees and they are by and large a sound bunch.

Kind regards
Sarah

Sarah, the site in question is local as are many of the sellers.

There is no harm in contacting a seller on there and asking to visit to assess the temperament of his colonies and assess the nuc/hive you are interested in for quality. Take someone who knows what they are doing if in doubt. Just don't try and buy advertised lots off site...they quite rightly have a filter which picks certain words from messages.

And I buy from Wynne Jones too :)

Thanks for your reply's, I will be joining the Shropshire Beekeepers Association when i go to the flower show in August ... well that's the plan.

The trouble is I think I have done so much reading I am getting to the confused stage, Wood Hive, Poly Hive, Plastic Hive, Langstroth, National or WBC I was thinking do I just buy and see if I sink or swim, I will be going on a practical course in the autumn and hopefully some hands on before I make my final decision.

Thanks Again

mignon (Sarah) the area of Shropshire is Wellington Telford.

Thanks Susbees for the heads up on said website, had never paid it much attention before and didn't realise it was based in Welshpool...you live and learn lol

I've bought stuff from this web site with no problem, but best to buy bees from someone you know or with a good reputation.

I bought a couple of colonies from this site having drawn a blank locally. First lot were not too good - turned out swarmy, varroa loaded and susceptible to chalkbrood. Second lot from a welsh seller were great!

Assumption: hive = without bees

If you are happy with a bit of construction and given the nature of the hobby its unavoidable IMO, then I'd simply buy the Bees on a Budget hive kit from Th0rnes and be done with it. At under £120 you know exactly what you're getting, inc frames, foundation etc. Cant see you getting close to that price on an auction site because people get carried away / dont research prices / run out of time.

If you are talking a nuc of bees ignore
If you are talking a viable colony ignore

To add: drstitsons comment that "flashy commercial websites are no guarantee of quality/security" is correct. Many people including myself have recently been scammed by a great looking electrical goods site called Ebuy4u.com (now closed down). Paid for goods by credit card and I now have to wait 30 days before lodging a refund application.

Out of necessity I have bought a few hive parts from ebay. Some have been OK, some have been hopeless. After my feedback of one the seller stopped selling - an out of square brood box that doesn't lie flat, with no bee space underneath, odd second-hand screws and biro marks over the timber is not much good! I had to break it down and re-make it. The super wasn't much better. Just shocking.

The BoaB hives are good from the company named after a plant spike - all you need. In fact I ordered another one on Monday, came today - much quicker than expected. Hivemaker also makes good ones - and they appear on ebay too; he posts here regularly.

For bees, check and buy locally if you can. Take someone with you who has kept bees; ask to open the hive and have a look to see what you're getting. There is a leaflet from the major beekeeping organisation in the country about what to expect in a nuc. Take that with you and ask questions.

Latest posts

Back