Attracting a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adri

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

Novice question.

Given the extortionate prices that Thornes etc are going to charge for Nucs next year...

What are the chances of a hive being occupied by a swarm if you simply left one out in the open for a long time?

Nearest hives to me are about 2 miles away so I'm assuming the chances are very small.

Cheers

Nick

bait hive, you might be lucky, you might not, its a gamble that something might take up residence, if a swarm does decide its a nice place to live then you have absolutely no idea what they will be like in terms of temprament, chalb brood resistance, varroa mite numbers and so on.

why not post a wanted ad in the relevant section here, someone will sort you out with a nuc from proven stock, it'll still cost a few quid but there should be peace of mind.

well I have the hive ready now but now wouldn't be a good time to get a nuc, would it?

TIA

Nick

I can't tell you what your chances are but I can tell you that it is achievable, I got my bees that way. OK I was lucky, inside 1 hour of setting up the bait hive I had residents. I simply used a national floor, brood and crown (no roof until they arrived but strapped down). I am going to set up a bait hive as a matter of course for next season and I'll again use National parts (because I have some spare). Good luck

Tips that worked for me:
1. Bees are more likely to inhabit a location previously used by bees so make sure you have a few frames of disease free but used comb
2. A large entrance way, standard floor or omf but no entrance blocks
3. Monitor for moth until you gat resisents but don't worry too much, a strong swarm will quickly build and quickly deal with moths or other interlopers

Last edited:
thanks rosti. just out of curiosity when you got your first swarm were there any other beekeepers in the area or could it have been a feral swarm?

We're kind of out in the country a bit (about a mile to nearest village and probably further to nearest beekeeper).

Don't suppose there's any point in putting the hive out now until next March/April time...right?

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Given the extortionate prices that Thornes etc are going to charge for Nucs next year...

Nucs are available from other scources too. Several members on here have been supplying them this year, so although setting up a bait hive is an excellent way of getting free bees, you could also ask on here for some prices and availability for early season next year.

Frisbee

Where are you ? i am hoping to be able to sell some nucs next year .
And they will be less than £ 100 [supply your own box] if all go's well .

I atracted 4 swrms to the same tree in my apiary all on the same branch , plus one in a baitox nuc( with 5 drawn frames and lemon grass oil) , 4 arrived within 5 days I was running round like a madman collecting box's from everywhere to house them, they were not my own bees as i only had 1 small nuc there at the time , the nearest beek is aprox 2 miles away so yes put bait box out you mght be very lucky. It worked for me

Hi

Novice question.

What are the chances of a hive being occupied by a swarm if you simply left one out in the open for a long time?

Nearest hives to me are about 2 miles away so I'm assuming the chances are very small.

Cheers

Nick

Where in the uk are you?? as im looking at selling 5 frames nucs from spring 2010.

Peak District. Near Buxton. But I'm definitely going to be doing the bees on the cheap so paying through the nose for nucs is out. Just made several national hives in my workshop. No Thornes for me. Can't afford it.

Thanks

Nick

when's the best time to put a baitbox out then?

TIA

Nick

Adri,

You could also try the swarm lures available from suppliers. One can never tell if they are the 'bees knees' for luring swarms (unless you put out several similar bait hives in the same place, as controls, and any swarms that arrive nearly always go to the bait hive + lure). They must work or there would be more than a few complaints by now!

Good reliable nucs are available at a fraction of the Thorne price - remember they are only the 'middle' man and are taking a good cut from each sale (bit like a car salesman?)

Nearest hives may be well managed and not swarm. You might find a say a couple of sites to place bait hives (closer to those nearest hives, or others?)

I am lucky(?), there are often a few swarms from a near-by commercial out-apiary, some of which are attracted to my bait hives. Aggressive queens, but a swarm is a swarm and as long as it is healthy can easily be re-queened.

Regards, RAB

Nick

Give all the pest control companies in you local area a call should not be many in your area , then ring Derbyshire council & parish council as they do not touch bees and offer your services.
I got a very nice swarm this year this way and only 5 min drive from my house.
Good luck and if all fails give me a call in spring .

Dean

Thanks Dean!!!

Will call DDC. I suppose the time to call is around mid May-June.

That right?

TIA

Nick

adri it makes a massive differance to us if you fill your personal detail in properly as we can then point you towards someone who can help ,

Maybe thats one for Admin to adjust the setting on the registration page. I belive they default to "United States"

And make it a requirement to list a location. But I am sure some will object to that?

How about joining your local Bee Keepers Association, they usually supply you with a cheap colony in your first year. Also some Associations allow you to look after a colony for the first year during which point you might be able to take a free artificial swarm. 1 point to make is that it's worth while paying for a decent colony so you can determine what's good and bad regarding temperament, productivity, etc.

If only all LBA's were like that !

If i sold a bad nuc of bee's how long would it take to get on here ? I do not want to own a bad bunch and would not allow any that were not nice bee's to go out.
People have treated me well with supplying bees and i will do the same with bee's i plan to sell.

Nic i have two types of queens Corrie or black bee type the queen i plan to use is very very calm [ have to get her past the winter first though].

i was only going to produce nuc's with the black bees is that a problem ?

Latest posts

Back