Attracting a swarm - is it working?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I was told about a swarm in someone's chimney during the week - being a new beekeeper - I decided attempting to extract them from said chimney was a bad plan, and it was suggested I try a bait hive.

By the time I got there, a lot of the bees had vanished, so we think the swarm had moved on before i got there.

Regardless, I left the hive in this nice lady's garden, and told her I'd be back at the weekend to collect it, unless anyone moved in in the meantime.

Went back today, and no sign of the swarm - but the lady did say that the entrance had been quite active all morning, with bees lying in and out.
Whilst I was there, I saw 2-3 bees looking around the entrance. I have left the hive there for the time being, and told her I'd be back next weekend - and to phone if anything exciting happened.

Is it likely these were scouts, looking at my bait hive... or just passers by?

I know there are a few hives in the area, which I don't believe are managed a great deal.

Can't tell.

Bait hive details? Position, elevation, size, contents, any lure, etc?

Always a chance. Just needs to appear to be a better alternative, as a home, than anywhere else in the vicinity.

Regards, RAB

Well - I'll admit it isn't the most attractive bait hive in the world... it's a cedar langstroth hive, pretty old, with a rather rotten bottom... but still in one piece (at the moment!).

It is currently sitting next to a garden bench (unused I might add!), on a concrete floor, with a hedgerow behind it, and nicely nestled in amongst an IMMACULATE flower garden.

Elevation is only a couple of inches - I just put it on some bricks to take it off the floor.

The contents I'm rather embarrassed about - it's got the old frames in it from yester-decade, with some new National super frames with new foundation wedged into them!!!
I'm afraid it was the best I could come up with! As I say, still a beginner!

There is a swarm lure in there, yes.

I guess only time will tell. I'll admit to getting rather excited that there were bees investigating it!

Stands a chance. Might be better at a couple metres up, but sometimes we can't have everything exactly as we might like.

Regards, RAB

mmm - I do remember reading that somewhere... but I think the very nice lady may object to my rancid hive 2 meters up in her spectacular garden... I think she's rather nice letting me leave it where it is, entirely out of sight!

Thanks - we will just have to wait and see - hopefully someone will move in later this week.

I'm not so sure about scouts. Bees don't seem to have a clue where they are going with they pile out of the hive. One of ours swarmed when we were away for 2 days. They got all of 30 yards, parked themselves in the hedge and sat there for 2 days, until they were forcibly put into a new hive. I somehow expected them to have more of a plan!

I caught a swarm in a bait hive last night. :hurray:

It scared the wife who was underneath the tree as thousands of bees were landing a couple of metres above her head. We also had to prise the dog out to go outside yesterday evening.

the neighbour saw it and said the sky went dark and it looked like a swarm you would see in a cartoon. He also said it sounded like a motorbike was parking in the tree.

I was gutted I was out.

It sounds as if I may have caught Somerford Steve's bees though, as he thinks he may have lost some... :blush5:

I moved the box and gave them some more frames. I will have a good look at them and transfer them into a NUC box next weekend

LOL - pretty amazing it worked Pete ! I don't know if it was from my hives yet as haven't checked them today as had the little ones to look after, but I'll take a look tomorrow and we'll know for sure.

I think I might paint one of my bait boxes green....have you any uv paint left ??

Proof to all beeks that a bait hive works....10 ft up in a willow tree !!

regards

S

Well done Pete,

Anyone know how far a swarm travels?
I`ve got a couple of bait hives out but there is not really anyone else around close (2miles ish) that i know of with bees.
I may catch one of mine if they swarm but I really wanted someone else`s, lol.

Darren

Latest posts

Back