Attacked by dogs so w hen would be the best time to move bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess the importing of dogs wholesale from the EU will stop next year or at least be much more strict so sellers are stocking up now.

There are around 23 different types of spaniel now.!!!
Are you including Setters in that? or Setting Spaniels to give them their proper name (they were even bigger than field spaniels!)
I'd guess the importing of dogs wholesale from the EU will stop next year or at least be much more strict so sellers are stocking up now.
Most don't come from the EU in the first place

The only disadvantage I can see to moving them now is if you don't have somewhere more than 3 miles away to move them to as you could lose bees who will return to their original site. If your other apiaries are <3 miles away try and find someone who is >3 miles away from both sites who will let you move your bees there for 3-4 weeks or so

Popularity of a breed and the kennel club cause inbreeding and deformities according to the opinion of my father, who with his father used to breed and show rough haired collies.
My opinion is there are too many dogs period, and a lot of the owner dont know to control them. A dog is a dog from toy Yorkie to Great Dane and should be treated as such, seeing how some small dogs are treated make me wince (Or is it flinching frommy father's ghost shouting my ear:) ) The classics are the small dog on the retractable lead, the poor thing doesnt know when it can roam or follow closely and is then allowed to jump up at owners legs.
The number of dogs that bark, growl and move to bite you as you go for walk is far far too high and makes walking in countryside near towns and villages quite unpleasant. Its getting rare to find a well behaved dog round here so much so, that I complement the owners that have them.

I think now is the time to have a dog owners licence, that you must have before you can left in charge of a dog and you have to pass an exam to get it.

I think now is the time to have a dog owners licence, that you must have before you can left in charge of a dog and you have to pass an exam to get it.
You'll find many people who feel the licence/exams should also apply to people being in charge of bees.

And just as many who feel totally the opposite.

makes me laugh that people pay loadsa money for these so called designer dogs - eg - Labrador cross poodle .....and then brag "oh I've got a labradoodle" or some old tosh - at the end of the day they are nothing but mutts....mongrels.....cross breeds. gonna get myself a bulldog x shitzhu
It would sound a bit odd in the breed register though ... Dogzhu doesn't quite have a ring to it ?

Are you including Setters in that? or Setting Spaniels to give them their proper name (they were even bigger than field spaniels!)
Not specifically, I thought their ancestors just originated in Spain and were bred from Spaniels.

I think this list covers it though:
American Cocker Spaniel
American Water Spaniel
Blue Picardy Spaniel
Boykin Spaniel
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Clumber Spaniel
Drentse Patrijshond
English Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
Field Spaniel
German Spaniel
Irish Water Spaniel
King Charles Spaniel
Kooikerhondje
Markiesje
Papillon
Phalène
Picardy Spaniel
Pont-Audemer Spaniel
Russian Spaniel
Stabyhoun
Sussex Spaniel
Welsh Springer Spaniel

12 dogs out of control should be reported to the RSPCA and the Police. If a group of dogs take a mentality that owner is not the pack leader then they are very dangerous indeed. I take a very dim view of out of control dogs after being savaged by one at age 4, yet brought up with a very gentle( to me ) well controlled dog from age 5. I wouldnt go near those premises unless prepared to defend myself with extreme prejudice.
Yes....you have to be prepared. The owner is breaking the law by failing to control their dogs on land that they gave you permission to be on. I would ask the RSPCA to pay a visit and be 'well-armed' the next time you go to see your bees. I would be prepared to 'take out' at least one of them, if attacked.

Yes....you have to be prepared. The owner is breaking the law by failing to control their dogs on land that they gave you permission to be on. I would ask the RSPCA to pay a visit and be 'well-armed' the next time you go to see your bees. I would be prepared to 'take out' at least one of them, if attacked.
Years ago we were issued with a prototype untrasonic dog pacifier if we encountered a vicious dog during house searches. Worked a treat but....... first time it was used in anger, vicious dog going berserk in the hallway so one of the lads 'zapped' it, dog calmed down but only after going haywire for thirty seconds and voiding its bowels all over everything.. .. :icon_204-2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back