At what rate are supers going on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
so tell me how many up and down the country are and have super on and bees working on them im in south Manchester (Chorlton) bees are not in the super at all even though the comb is drawn

so tell me how many up and down the country are and have super on and bees working on them im in south Manchester (Chorlton) bees are not in the super at all even though the comb is drawn

I've four hives but only got a super on one which is being capped.

I'm on the border of wigan/manchester.

A super on each of 3 hives, and 2 supers on 1.
I'm, errr, quite a long way from Manchester, lol...

nearly everything has supers not many have 2 but one hive has filled 2 and is on its 3rd but i don't think it will have much going in this week

Supers on three but nothing in them, combined two so they are dbb so have lots of space. Put them on when all the blossom opened in the heat of last week, in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered yet!

At inspection last tuesday 2 colonies were back filling the brood nest with nectar so I supered even though there were only five or six frames of brood.
I actually gave them an empty drawn frame each but went back two days later to add a super.
No excluder and remains of uncapped honey from last year in a few frames.
It's rained since!

4 with supers on only 2 actually putting anything in them and then its small amounts....

three hives a super on only one and only a very little honey going into it

First super is almost fully capped and the second super is 1/2 full but uncapped

Still have fondant on very cold on my patch only last weekend was warm, so I put water on the flight/landing board to save them the effort of visiting my bog garden a few yards away. My first spring so colony small but building new comb well with the fondant and bringing in pollen open brood and closed brood seen last weekend.

3 hives no supers and I don't think I will be putting them on soon! But the bees have proved me wrong before...I live and hope!

none supered yet.only 2 half decent size colonies to which have had a second bb added underneath and the welsh weather is still awful.

None. Still trying to recover from winter. :hairpull:

No supers on anything yet. Most colonies too small, and unlikely to need supering on OSR this year.

Those poly hives that are strong enough will not be supered either, rather given extra brood space to prepare for making decent sized splits to fill the empties up.

Just one thing extra.......we tend to super later than most anyway. A colony in a single comes up to strength quicker if you let it get to at least 8 bars of bees (min 6 of brood) before adding headspace. Super too early and you set the colony back as it makes it harder to keep the brood warm, so they raise less.

Last edited:
No supers yet. Still checking them for feed as low on stores so may need syrup. Only had a few warm days yet and the rest of May not a good forcast.

no me too none supered not looked at them much feeding is all i can really do for them anyway they either come right or not.
better off with q ex and super above crown board so the can go up if they want just like murray dont see much happing for a few weeks yet

Quite suprised this week. Supered 2 hives last Monday, (already on double brood) one being capped, one half full. Despite the poor weather and no OSR nearby.
Cazza

I would have supered 5 hives towards the end of last week but I forgot three queen excluders so one apiary will have to have its supers on tomorrow. The bees need the room as they are expanding fast but unlike other years not a great deal of nectar at the moment but it will change.

Latest posts

Back