At least I caught them...but what to do now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenHP16

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi - well Enrico did tell me to make sure I checked the old queen after my artificial swarm...

When out for my usually viewing of the comings and goings this morning I spotted a swarm around the gate post close to my hives. We managed to persuade them to take up residence in a fine cardboard box and they are now calm and will re-hive them later today.

I'd like to ask for some advice as what to do next with what I have left. The swarm is from the hive into which I placed the old queen when I did the artificial swarm. Having inspected what was left I didn't see anything that looked like they would be able to make a new queen from (I did break down a couple of cells when I moved HM over) and so am now worried that this hive is Q- likely to stay that way. The old hive has some very nice Q cells and still looks quite strong and so hopefully will be re queened in a few weeks. I'm thinking that I should combine these two hives.

This would leave me with the swarm hive and and the recombined artificial swarm hives - does that make sense or is there some other path I should take?

thank you

H

How many are left in the hive they swarmed from? If it looks viable and you have the equipment, I'd be inclined to wait and watch, they can always be combined later.

Hi - not that many left. One frame of brood and 3 with some stores on. I didn't see any larvae or eggs for them to make a Q cell from

Helen how big was the swarm? if it came from the A/S you made then i@m sure it can't be very big.
If it came from the A/S then surely shes laid eggs recently but if you've got more than 1 cell in the other hive you could move 1 over then as SWARm say just sit and watch for the new queens.
I'm only just up the road from you so if you want a queen cell or a queen then let me know.
AB

Thank you ashleybee and Swarm. The association swarm office had the same advice so I'll sit tight for a week or so. The swarm is now housed and has a good feed of syrup so here's hoping they stay put.

Latest posts

Back