At Last.........Tree Bees Video

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it was really good to see - and they got the Queen too!

Nick

Wonder how long they had been there- marked queen too. So from a controlled colony. Interesting to follow up with the varroa drop.
Many thanks for that video. I am monitoring a similar scenario with a tree on its last legs, and will rescue the bees if it becomes necessary.

Very good video Fris, well done.

Now get your Black and Decker out and make a hive or two from the rest of the tree :)

It's what your right arm's for ;)

J.

Cracking video!
I thought the queen was still in the hive around 7.30 by the way the bees behaved,I was thinking "go get a dustpan and brush and find the queen" when you put that frame in to scoop them up.

Well done in getting the queen(she looked a good one),I bet the cuppa tasted good after all that work.

That is one cracking video. A feral colony with a marked queen! How jammy is that? This has definitely raised the bar in the "Best Bee Video" competition. Watch out Hedgerow Pete!

Steve J.

Super video of what can be done in a situation like that. Congratulations on a job well done.

Regards, RAB

Fantastic, that was an eye opener. I wonder how the insulation properties of any hive compare to that tree!!!

Fantastic, that was an eye opener. I wonder how the insulation properties of any hive compare to that tree!!!

An interesting question, but I'm not sure how relevant it is ! :)

The Bees chose that tree presumably because there was not much else available in the vicinity. .... It was probably that or nothing ! I have heard of them taking up residence in empty oil drums !

However, to attempt an answer to your question, - I suspect that the temperature inside would be very stable, and would lag gently behind the outside air temp, but would be modified and maintained by the bees themselves.

Perhaps more important would be the humidity level, and particularly the dew point. I would expect the tree to have a very good performance in this respect. Possibly even the best hives would have difficulty matching it. :)

An interesting question, but I'm not sure how relevant it is ! :)
. :)

Quote of the week perhaps JC. Forgive me for even suggesting it, but it sounded for one small moment as if you might be making a moral judgement on the relative merits of the question and it's placement vis-a-vis the thread context.

Your humour is becoming ledgendary. (leave the biscuits alone).

Good answer by the way! :cheers2:

Excellent movie Frisby. JC will keep the thread on song and screen out the contextual interruptions! :)

Relevance is a state of mind.

Well worth the wait, nobody has owned up to recognising that queen yet!

Well worth the wait, nobody has owned up to recognising that queen yet!

Definately not one of mine, the last one I marked now has Tipp-ex'd knees. :blush5:

Many thanks again for your invaluable help :cheers2:

And thanks as well to everyone else who has posted on here for your kind comments.

The bees are still in the hive on the tree, although I've now nailed a board to the trunk to make it more stable, I will be moving them to the rest of my hives in the field next door later on in the winter, they've done a good job of filling up with nectar - not taken a lot of syrup they have been working the Balsam.

Frisbee

Back