Association websites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isc26

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This may be of interest.....

Dear Association Chairman/ Secretary,

I apologise in advance for the lateness and urgency of this email and its contents.

The BBKA website has for some time continued to host your Associations website as a separate service on the BBKA server but the BBKA is now in a position where the BBKA Website has to be transferred to another server as a matter of urgency as the existing server cannot receive any more security updates at the operating system level and that is planned for November 7th 2016.

Unfortunately, due to the software that runs all the local association websites i.e. the BigMedium software which is a product that has been totally deprecated and is totally unsupported in terms of security updates etc, we will not be able to transfer your site to the new server and you need to be aware of this and if your website is still locally hosted via the BBKA Website, urgent actions need to be undertaken.

This means you will need to set up a new website and let us know the address, so we can set up an automatic redirect from the old local folder location to your new website. A lot of associations have already done this but we are not aware if you have undertaken that transfer or not, so could I therefore ask that if your Associations Website is still active as a BBKA hosted site that you contact me as soon as possible for any help or advice in setting up your new website?

One of the easiest ways of getting a new site is to use https://wordpress.com/. This is either free (with a '<your organisation name>.wordpress.com' style sub-domain) or $8.25/month with your own custom domain.

As the BBKA currently does not have up to date Year Book information available I have therefore used the information contained in the 2015/16 BBKA Year Book as a source of the email addresses and contacts so if I have addressed this email to the wrong person, I would be grateful if you would redirect it to the appropriate person(s).

I am currently in discussions with the organisation that provides the services to try and extend the period for the Local Association websites and I will inform you of the outcome as soon as I can

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thank you

David

David Teasdale
BBKA Trustee/Chair of the BBKA Website Working Group

I tried for two years to get information from David Teasdale BBKA trustee on how to get the BBKA to host a web site for our Federation. in two years despite 15 emails to the contacts on the BBKA web site and telephone calls to other trustee i got one phone call...from Mr Teasdale .."I will get someone to call you" they never did, The BBKA even got my email wrong when i complained and they apoligised

Why did we need a web site, well we run as five separate association under an area federation and the BBKA year book web site sent website inquiries for the federation to a USA Beekeeping Association of similar name!!!!

Now i am glad i did not succeed, typical lack of planning by this trustee of the BBKA

Last edited:
This may be of interest.....

Dear Association Chairman/ Secretary,

I apologise in advance for the lateness and urgency of this email and its contents.

The BBKA website has for some time continued to host your Associations website as a separate service on the BBKA server but the BBKA is now in a position where the BBKA Website has to be transferred to another server as a matter of urgency as the existing server cannot receive any more security updates at the operating system level and that is planned for November 7th 2016.

Unfortunately, due to the software that runs all the local association websites i.e. the BigMedium software which is a product that has been totally deprecated and is totally unsupported in terms of security updates etc, we will not be able to transfer your site to the new server and you need to be aware of this and if your website is still locally hosted via the BBKA Website, urgent actions need to be undertaken.

This means you will need to set up a new website and let us know the address, so we can set up an automatic redirect from the old local folder location to your new website. A lot of associations have already done this but we are not aware if you have undertaken that transfer or not, so could I therefore ask that if your Associations Website is still active as a BBKA hosted site that you contact me as soon as possible for any help or advice in setting up your new website?

One of the easiest ways of getting a new site is to use https://wordpress.com/. This is either free (with a '<your organisation name>.wordpress.com' style sub-domain) or $8.25/month with your own custom domain.

As the BBKA currently does not have up to date Year Book information available I have therefore used the information contained in the 2015/16 BBKA Year Book as a source of the email addresses and contacts so if I have addressed this email to the wrong person, I would be grateful if you would redirect it to the appropriate person(s).

I am currently in discussions with the organisation that provides the services to try and extend the period for the Local Association websites and I will inform you of the outcome as soon as I can

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thank you

David

David Teasdale
BBKA Trustee/Chair of the BBKA Website Working Group

Emails were sent out last year about this. shame you didnt get one. We transferred to WIX but there are others like go daddy which are much cheaper than wordpress.

they are all very easy to use you just need to use one of their many templates to set up your new site and then just get the bbka to point to it.

doug

Latest posts

Back