association numbers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
anyone know what the average size of local associations is? and what size are the largest local bbka associations?

Devon and Yorkshire are the two biggest affiliated directly to the BBKA. Devon has over 600 members, not sure about Yorkshire but probably something simliar. The smallest directly affifliated might be something like Vale and Downland with about 40.

My own local association is part of Devon Beekeepers and has just over 60 members.

thanks RT, was trying avoid the umbrella groups like Yorkshire and and Devon so really its what is the average/largest size of those that take direct members (YBKA and DBKA being regional groups)

I would say that with the increased interest the last couple of years numbers are up for most groups with an average membership of around 30 members.

affifliated

Affifliated? However, the sub-branches (i.e. un-affifliated) in the Devon Beekeepers are from about 30 strong upwards. The largest is North Devon with well over a hundred.

Of course the numbers who actually turn up at meetings and horror of horrors actually volunteer to help is sometimes in single figures.

Devon and Yorkshire are the two biggest affiliated directly to the BBKA. Devon has over 600 members, not sure about Yorkshire but probably something simliar. The smallest directly affifliated might be something like Vale and Downland with about 40.

My own local association is part of Devon Beekeepers and has just over 60 members.

Things have moved on a bit. Devon had 916 in 2009 according to BBKA yearbook. I bet it's over 1000 today. Even lowly Worcestershire has over 400, up from a low of about 150 just 3 or 4 years ago.

Alnwick and District (North Northumberland) has just over 100. Up from 40 three years ago and 12 six years ago. Newcastle has about 150.

South Chilterns has just over 100 members. Up from about 60 3 years ago.

Thanx all, interesting stuff

Cornwall BKA has around 300 members, West Cornwall BKA has around 200 members I believe.

Not sure yet on 'local' groups. Should probably get an idea of 2 groups next week.

di:.)

Cornwall BKA has around 300 members, West Cornwall BKA has around 200 members I believe.

Not sure yet on 'local' groups. Should probably get an idea of 2 groups next week.

di:.)

Blimey, you can see why the larger counties dominate the voting. Our club alone has 200, and their are a further 7 clubs in Surrey, and then Central Sussex are co-opted into Surrey as well I think. The vast differences in numbers is interesting.

Adam

Back