Assembling super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

Do you use wood glue for assembling the super and frames?

Stephen

Gripfill (Internal and External grade) Liquid PU by Laybond (or similar) adhesive was recommended to me and it is brilliant. Needs clamping for 24 hrs for final bond strength. Expands into gaps and is therefore great if you need to remake or repair any hive parts. Obtainable from good timber merchants - eg Travis Perkins. Bit of a bugger if you get it on hands as there seems to be no solvent to remove it. In other words be sparing and careful with the nozzle on the 0.5kg plastic bottle.

Ha ha, PU (polyurethane) adhesive isn't something you want to get on your fingers/hands just before you go out with the wife for an evening out somewhere swish, that's for sure.

Sticks like ****, but doesn't descriminate between hive and hands and don't let any dribbles get on your clothes or shoes.

Thanks everyone for help I have now assembled frames and super i got from thornes.

Steve

Steve, hold off getting more bits and pieces from Th**nes for the moment (unless sale items) They attend the Ulster Beekeeper's Annual conference in March and will allow you to collect previously purchased items from their stand. At least you will save a little on postage.

A little late to help on this one but ..... Supers and brood boxes .......

Throw away the nail pack and use 40mm No 3 screws, (and pref pre-drill). Water proof glue on the long joints only. Slightly longer granted, but much stronger and no slow warping in 2 years time

Last edited:
I can never see the point in glueing something which you are nailing/screwing anyhow.

It, if waterproof, will help to prevent ingress of water into/through the joint, which may well swell the wood and reduce the useful life of the item.

Nails are good if put in 'on the tosh' but otherwise are to keep things in place laterally to the nail head. Can't beat screws for making sure the joint is pulled together, if cramps are not available while glue sets completely. A tight wood-wood contact is obligatory I expecting the best from a thin film glue, such as PVA.

RAB

Latest posts

Back