Assembling frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Hi all,

I bought myself some frame parts the other day to assemble for my hives.
Firstly, how easy are they to assemble?
Secondly, what nails are best to use?
Thirdly, does anyone have any tips?
And fourthly, does anyone have any links to sites/vids of making frames. I have googled it, but the results are poor to be honest.

I am doing a beginners beekeeping course this January and apparently we are learning the skill on that, but I want to get ahead now!

Thank you!

Mark.

I liked the video.

To state the obvious, which no-one told me, but which would have helped... they do need to be square and not twisted, you do need to make sure the nails are in straight and don't put the foundation in yet... it will keep much better in the packet. Bees prefer it fresh.

Good luck. Tell us how you get on.

Awesome, thanks for the vid admin.
I think I actually know that chap as well! lol.

I have read to make building the frames and inserting the foundation, a seperate process. So, I am not going to buy any foundation until the moment before I get my bees.

Thanks for the replies.:)

Welcome to the world of Honey bees the naked beekeeper.
Thorn's catalogue used to have a guide to making frames.

Regards;

I tend to use only one pin at the top of each side-bar to fix it to the top bar. If it is long enough to go through the first lug, through the top bar and then into the far lug, it holds the frame perfectly securely (I've never had one fall apart yet).

I drive it from the flat side of the Hoffman side-bar, not the chamferred side. Apart from saving a pin, it has the distinct advantage of avoiding flattening an area of the chamferred ridge which can lead to excess propolys.

Ray

hi n/beekeeper,after you have put together a hundred or so you will get the hang of it,good vid.

Latest posts

Back